Adam Wainwright thinks he’s going to work out an extension with the Cardinals

Nov 5, 2012, 9:44 AM EST

adam wainwright getty Getty Images

Adam Wainwright is still under contract with the Cardinals through 2013, but he tells Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch that he wants to stay and thinks he will:

“In brief talks with (Cardinals executives) they feel real good about me coming back for a long time, and I want to make that happen,” Wainwright said. “I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t make that happen. … It’s not like I have one foot out the door (to free agency).”

Not that he’s in the bag. He makes comments about how the Cardinals have to respect what he’s done and pony up decent dough. That said, id he’s talking long term extension already, there’s probably good reason to think it’s gonna happen.

1. stlouis1baseball - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I look forward to seeing how Waino bounces back with a full year under his belt (post TJ surgery).
    He started to get much better the 2nd half of the season. I see no reason 2013 should be any different.

2. okwhitefalcon - Nov 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I’ve heard much the same about mutual interest from both parties via the usual suspects in the STL media, none seem to have much idea where the terms will be at though – they’re all over the place really.

Everything from “Cain money” to “No way Cain money” so who the hell knows at this point.

3. stex52 - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I would read it as a pretty good sign, having watched these things before. His agent will have a coronary if he says “I can’t wait to come back.” So he has to throw in some stuff about the money being right. I bet you see a deal when the Cards decide they want to finish the business. Since he sets no deadlines, they may not be in a hurry.

4. crookedstick - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM

The Cardinals will pay him what they feel he’s worth but they won’t go nuts given the amount of young, stud arms they have ready now and in the next 3 years. There’s no reason to panic that he may go somewhere else and overpay him to stay.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

The organization and Wainwright seem to want to get a deal done so I’m sure if it does get done it’ll be mutually beneficial.

I suppose (as they did with Molina) they think he has inherent value beyond the performance that will be helpful as the youngsters become more depended on so I wouldn’t be shocked if he got what others may deem an “overpay”.

Hell, it’s not my money.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4823)
  2. M. Kemp (3432)
  3. J. Upton (2499)
  4. J. Kang (2457)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2445)
  1. C. McGehee (2428)