Nov 5, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
As expected the Cardinals have promoted John Mabry from assistant hitting coach to hitting coach following Mark McGwire’s departure to take the same job with the Dodgers.
Mabry was chosen for manager Mike Matheny’s coaching staff last offseason after Mike Aldrete went from assistant hitting coach to bench coach. No word yet on who the Cardinals will turn to as their new assistant hitting coach, although Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch expects it to be an in-house choice.
St. Louis also announced Triple-A pitching coach Blaise Ilsley as their new bullpen coach, replacing Dyar Miller, who was the only member of Matheny’s coaching staff not asked to return.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (252)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)