David Ortiz on Bobby V: “this guy must have some mental issues or needs medicine or something”

Nov 5, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

A couple weeks ago, Bobby Valentine gave an interview on NBC Sports Network in which he appeared to throw David Ortiz under the bus, claiming that Ortiz quit on the Red Sox and didn’t play because the Red Sox weren’t really in the playoff race.

Ortiz kept quiet as he negotiated his contract extension with the Sox, but he gave an interview to ESPN Deportes saying how he felt about Valentine’s comments. He denied what Valentine said about his health and argued that he had always supported Valentine. Then:

“… after he went on national TV to say what he said, he sent me a text message trying to tell me that it was the media trying to change things. I did not respond to the message and I said to myself, this guy must have some mental issues or needs medicine or something? I said, I am dealing with someone crazy and I am not going to drive myself crazy, so it is better if I leave it alone.”

Probably a good policy. Valentine wasn’t quoted by some scribe. He SAID that stuff right on camera. The impulse to immediately call Ortiz and claim that he didn’t is indicative of … something. And whatever that something is, it was probably a good move for Ortiz not to call Valentine back up and engage with that level of … something.

1. steveflack - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

By medicine, does David Ortiz mean the performance enhancing drugs he tested positive for?

• crispybasil - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

2. deathmonkey41 - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Big Papi is going to the DR and get Bobby some “milkshakes” because that helped his career and he thinks it might do the same for Bobby V.

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM

There’s a funny thing about yapping about a player doing PEDs…chances are really good that players on your team are or were doing them, too.

• steveflack - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I have no problem with that. But if we hang certain PED users out to dry, I just want equal treatment. David Ortiz used PED just like A-Rod, Clemens, and Bonds. He deserves the same treatment.

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Sure. Although, the guys you mentioned have different legacies. I suspect though that, if the climate is the same as now when Ortiz’s becomes HoF-eligible, the voters will keep him out, same as the others.

• paperlions - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Ortiz was one of the few whose names have been leaked publicly. Thousands of players used PEDs from the 60s (there was a SI cover story in the 60s about baseball players using steroids, let’s not act like this was restricted to the more recent times) through present day…and only a few have been outed publicly. Compared to the vast majority of players that used, Ortiz has already been condemned far more than the average user.

This is like people bitching about McGwire admission because he didn’t say exactly what they wanted him to say. Here is a complete list of every baseball player that has publicly admitted more details about their steroid use than McGwire: Canseco and Caminiti. That’s it. He’s already admitted publicly far more than anyone else still involved with the game, and people still bitch about it.

• steveflack - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Here is a complete list of every baseball player that has publicly admitted more details about their steroid use than McGwire: Alex Rodriguez, Canseco and Caminiti.

Fixed.

• paperlions - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ARod most certainly did not admit to the level of detail that McGwire did….and it really isn’t very close.

• raysfan1 - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Steveflack–Andy Pettite and Jason Giambi aren’t pariahs either.

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

But like Clemens, Ortiz also did have enough character to admit he cheated the sport.

3. drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM

“He SAID that stuff right on camera. The impulse to immediately call Ortiz and claim that he didn’t is indicative of …”

Valentine’s status as a Romney wannabe?

Both are total train wrecks.

• pjmitch - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes but thankfully one of them will be our President in two days

• djpostl - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Thankfully one of them won’t lol. Dude is a pathological liar.

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

You want a train wreck for President? That’s a lot of track to lay down.

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Bobby Valentine is running for President? His problems are more severe than I thought.

• Old Gator - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I guess if Roseanne Barr can do it…?

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Bobby V wants to run for office because he believes he can say more stupid things in 4 yrs than Joe Biden did.

• badintent - Nov 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

More Drama for Red Sox Nation ! Love it, Is Boston still in the MLB ?
      I’m Barrick Obama and I really approved this jiveass message

4. cur68 - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I think Valentine has no idea how his comments might be perceived in the moment. He just says what he thinks. Afterwards he does a bit of a double take. I guess the closest visual I can come up with is Homer’s “Doh!” after he says what he should have merely thought. A “was that out loud” moment, if you prefer. Its a real stretch to see how any of this reflects badly on Ortiz (not that that didn’t stop the first 2 commenters from trying, of course. Trolls gonna troll). Ortiz did the right thing: just ignore him.

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Bobby said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet.

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

See, I think of Guillen as more like Homer Simpson (“Did I just really say I love Castro when I work in a Cuban-American community? D’oh!”) Something seems clinically off about Valentine–nothing a little lithium couldn’t fix.

• cur68 - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Not thorazine? I’d dart Valentine’s skinny ass with that shit for every interview If I could. Mind you, lithium is indicated, too. I know what, lets play it safe: a cocktail. Lets call this one a “Special Valentine”. We shall use 1/3 Thorazine (10 mg), 1/3 Lithium (600 mg), and 1/3 Ritalin (30 mg) ( the ritalin will help him focus on not being a dumbass). Load that into a dart for me, will you? I’m off to the garage to fashion a blow gun from some leftover copper pipe.

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Haldol seems to be the anti-psychotic of choice at my hospital, but sure, a little thorazine probably wouldn’t hurt. He’s wiry thing and probably pretty fast. You good with that blow gun?

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

How about a Bloody Valentine?

• cur68 - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Haldol, eh? Sure, lets dip the dart tips in the Haldol, just to be EXTRA safe. You’re right about BV being kinda spry. He rides bikes and texts; just ask the French Tourists he ran over, so he’s got “able to multi task” (sorta) going for him, too. I should practice darting something/one, just to make sure I take him down with one shot. Gonna need someone with grit. Stamina. Gotta have heart for the long hours of practice and a high pain tolerance. I guess Juan Pierre is still busy being useful in MLB, so he’s not a good choice this year. Hmmm…I wonder what David Eckstien is up too…..

• mazblast - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I like cur68′s idea for a special cocktail, but instead of using a blowgun I’d make it a rifle-launched tranquilizer dart, like they use for large animals.

• raysfan1 - Nov 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Don’t forget the Seroquel. Shock treatments too.

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Ooooh, ECT. I like how you think. Shock therapy is mightily underused in mental health. I have a feeling there won’t be a lack of volunteers to administer it to Valentine.

• raysfan1 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Cognitive therapy’s out, for obvious reasons in his case.

• cur68 - Nov 6, 2012 at 3:43 AM

ECT, eh? Nice. After I dart his ass, you two can wire him to house current. After I’m done putting the finishing touches on the blow gun I’ll dig out the spare jumper cables.

• indaburg - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM

We’re some sick mofos, aren’t we?

• badintent - Nov 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

What ever happen to Valium and Prozac ? Mixed with Tequila, ice and mango juice in blender ?

5. indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ortiz is a very wise man. There’s no reasoning with the crazy.

I wonder if Valentine could very well be bipolar. He displays some of the characteristic manic behaviors. Something is definitely off.

• paperlions - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He seems like a classic narcissist to me. Too much ego, too little perspective, and too little accountability.

• sabatimus - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Gotta agree with the narcissist over the bipolar.

• mazblast - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM

He could be both bipolar and a narcissist.

I vote for the bipolar, but I’m the first to admit I’m no mental health expert.

• drewsylvania - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I think we’d hear about even crazier antics from Valentine if this were the case. Unless he’s already diagnosed and on his meds…

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I’d say he never got on his meds. I can’t remember the player’s name, but I remember Valentine said something demeaning to a player who was struggling with major depression.

6. edelmanfanclub - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Nah he’s sane, he’s just a… jackass.

• indaburg - Nov 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

You can be insane and a jackass. They frequently go hand in hand.

7. Francisco (FC) - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

The pic seems to be saying: “ehhh, that Bobby. Man. He craaaazzzyyyy.”

8. fuddpucker - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Bobby definitely has something wrong with him. He may be bi-polar and/or he may be an immature narcissistic asshole.

My bet is that he’s extremely immature, impulsive, and not the brightest tool in the shed. It’s hard to imagine he’ll ever get another manager job in the MLB again.

9. thebadguyswon - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Another two-faced rat asshole on the Red Sox. Shocker.

10. brandedthefirst - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Couldn’t of happened to a better club.

11. schmedley69 - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Bobby Valentine has a toxic personality. The best way to deal with a toxic person is to cut them out of your life completely and ignore them. Ortiz handled it perfectly. Valentine was trying to reel him into his toxic cesspool so that he could insult him some more, but Ortiz didn’t fall for it.

12. mackie66 - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Who wrote this? This piece is very to follow.

13. williegy - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I thought the Red Sox were making a big mistake when they “traded down” & replaced Terry Francona with Bobby Valentine. I was right.

14. psousa1 - Nov 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

There are different levels of PED users. Ortiz got busted for Nandrolone. This usually means, the guy who gets busted for Nandrolone, went into GNC and bought something off the shelf. Nandrolone is in quite a few over the counter supplements. But that is not really an excuse either. Contrary to belief – PED’s are not all black market drugs bought off some washed up loser in the parking lot of a gym or purchased in Mexico. MLB gives these guys an expansive list of over the counter supplements they can and cannot use. Quite a few people who work out, and don’t purchase any supplements beyond what is on the shelf at GNC, would fail a MLB drug test. That being said – guys like Clemens, Giambi, A Rod, Brett Boone, Pettite and Bonds were taking serious sh!t. A whole different level of sh!t as compared to Nandrolone.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug