Dennis Martinez, Eduardo Perez named to the Astros’ coaching staff

Nov 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT

Astros new logo

For as long as there have been bench coaches and bullpen coaches, Man has sought to ascertain what, exactly, they do.  We may never know the answer to that question, but we do know who will be filling those roles for the Houston Astros next year: former big leaguers Eduardo Perez and Dennis Martinez.

Perez used to be the Marlins’ hitting coach. El Presidente was most recently a coach in the Cardinals’ system. Both of them continue a trend of coaches coming from the ranks of players whose primes occurred in my actual adult life as opposed to some distant, hazy past, thereby making me feel really old.

1. danaking - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I feel you. Want to feel even older? I’m within several years of seeing a phenom come up and realizing I’ll not see him retire.

• townballblog - Nov 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I gave you a thumbs-up because that was funny. However, at the same time, that’s kind of sad.

2. rollinghighwayblues - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I have long aspired to become a bullpen coach. It always seems that they practically answer a telephone and read from a clipboard as they watch guys get warm.

I wanna be either a bullpen coach or a high school/college librarian. I mean, really? What do they do? They always have ample students doing all the dirty work. I’m literally typing this in a college library eyeballing the librarian and thinking to myself, “How can I possibly snatch that woman’s job?”

• Caught Looking - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Our librarian is actually pretty hot, therefore I would have reversed a couple of words in the last quote.

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

“How can I job that woman’s snatch?”

• historiophiliac - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Sadly, she probably has a Master’s degree and makes less than $40K.

3. vallewho - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Perfect timing with elections and all….El Presidente

4. townballblog - Nov 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Craig, and here I was for a second thinking that you meant THE Eddie Pérez. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Pérez_(baseball)

Three legends off to Cooperstown