Nov 5, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
For as long as there have been bench coaches and bullpen coaches, Man has sought to ascertain what, exactly, they do. We may never know the answer to that question, but we do know who will be filling those roles for the Houston Astros next year: former big leaguers Eduardo Perez and Dennis Martinez.
Perez used to be the Marlins’ hitting coach. El Presidente was most recently a coach in the Cardinals’ system. Both of them continue a trend of coaches coming from the ranks of players whose primes occurred in my actual adult life as opposed to some distant, hazy past, thereby making me feel really old.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29