Nov 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Joakim Soria recently became a free agent after the Royals declined his $8 million option for 2013. Coming back from Tommy John surgery, the thought is that he’ll look for a closer job on a one-year deal in hopes of re-establishing his value and testing the market again next offseason. But he’s keeping his options open.
“If the Yankees call, we will be all ears,” Soria’s agent, Oscar Suarez, said by phone Monday. “If there is a fit, Joakim would be elated to work with Mo. He would close everywhere except there.”
Suarez told Marchand that he has already heard from eight teams, all of them contenders, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has yet to inquire. It appears that Soria’s interest in working with Rivera is genuine and it would make for a pretty natural changing of the guard beyond 2013, but as we’ve seen with other free agents over the years, it never hurts to have the Yankees involved in the bidding.
Soria, 28, has a 2.40 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 160 saves over five seasons in the major leagues. His 181 ERA+ is fifth all-time among pitchers with at least 300 innings pitched. Rivera is first all-time with an ERA+ of 206.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)