Nov 5, 2012, 8:30 AM EST
I want to find a genie in a bottle who bucks convention and doesn’t mind it when you wish for more wishes. The odds of that happening are about the same odds as Josh Hamilton getting what he wants:
— John Perrotto (@jperrotto) November 2, 2012
That’s $25 million a year for seven years. I think it’s a stretch to think he’ll get seven years at anything even approaching that level, if he gets that many years at all. If he does get $25 million it would probably be some four-year thing maybe with a series of options afterward. No way someone goes both big and long on his deal.
Whatever. They’re all rumors until something happens. I would expect that, if it hasn’t happened already, Hamilton’s people have denied this. Not because they don’t want it — they may actually be asking for it — but because there is no percentage in having a perception that Hamilton is asking for the moon out there. At least until he’s in serious negotiations with someone.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27