Nov 5, 2012, 9:05 AM EST
There isn’t much of a baseball connection between the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, the New York Marathon controversy from late last week and over the weekend and baseball, but New York Post baseball writer Ken Davidoff has a good column up on it today.
Scroll down past his stuff about his free agent predictions and you’ll see where he talks about how he had been training for the New York Marathon for almost a year. He talks about the weirdness and uncertainty of last week when, despite there being no good reason on the planet to run the marathon and a million good ones not to, the New York Road Runners and the city insisted that the thing still go on, only to finally bow to common sense on Friday afternoon (and then said flat out dumbass things in the wake of it over the weekend).
After that, Davidoff makes a good analogy to Tom Glavine’s last performance in a Mets uniform that, in moments when baseball fans lose perspective, is often referred to as a disaster. Go check it out and remember it the next time someone uses extreme terms to talk about things that happen on a baseball diamond.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 41
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)