Nov 5, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
OK, so this was apparently announced way back in July, but I didn’t notice it until Mike Bates pointed it out on Twitter this afternoon and … well, you’ll see.
Each year the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association gives out a “Heart and Hustle” award “to a player who demonstrates a passion for the game of baseball and best embodies the values, spirit, and traditions of the game.”
As part of the voting process one player from each of the 30 teams is selected as a finalist “based on the passion, desire, and work ethic demonstrated both on and off the field.”
All of which makes this pretty amazing: Melky Cabrera is the Giants’ finalist for the “Heart and Hustle” award this year after missing the end of the regular season and being left off the postseason roster following his 50-game suspension for a performance-enhancing drug.
As pictured below, Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda presented Cabrera with the team version of the “Heart and Hustle” award on August 1, two weeks before his suspension was announced:
And you can still vote for him on MLB.com and everything:
MLB.com balloting only counts for five percent of the total “Heart and Hustle” vote or else this whole thing could get really fun. With his $300,000 in playoff share money Cabrera could build a shrine to display his award.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
As recently as mid-September manager Walt Weiss was talking Nicasio up as a reliever for 2015.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Could a team that is unloading salary go nine-figures on an outfielder?
Nov 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Belisario served as the White Sox’s closer for part of this season.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Zeid underwent season-ending foot surgery in July.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
And it’s not at all clear when or if those experiments will translate into rules changes.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Don’t bother unpacking.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:06 PM EST
With the Tigers out, the Jays are in.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Presumed front-runners may have changed their minds.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
Zimmermann has just one season remaining until he’s eligible for free agency and the 28-year-old right-hander is in line for a massive payday.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
The Cuban outfielder is letting his market develop, it seems.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
For now at least there doesn’t seem to be a clear front-runner.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
What’s not to like?
Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
The new commish takes over on January 25.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EST
He was a nice pickup for the O’s last season. But do you give Delmon Young a multi-year deal?
Nov 20, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
A crappy K/BB ratio is the least of Cody Kukuk’s problems now.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:44 AM EST
No one ever asks the billionaire owners of baseball teams questions like that.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Marlins have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with infielder Reid Brignac. The deal presumably comes with an invitation to major league spring training.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
The Marlins have some money to spend, and free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche appears to be among their targets.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Sergio Santos had a dreadful 2014 season, posting an 8.57 ERA, 2.19 WHIP, and 29/18 K/BB ratio in 21 innings for the Blue Jays while battling a lingering right forearm issue. He’s a free agent now and will be looking to revitalize his career with any team that will have him.
Nov 19, 2014, 7:08 PM EST
From agent Marc Klingman comes word that Pat Venditte, a switch-pitcher who can throw both left-handed and right-handed, has signed a minor league contract with the Oakland A’s. The deal also carries an invitation to major league spring training.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)