Nov 5, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
The rules regarding playoff shares are weird and we don’t think about them much, but the San Francisco Chronicle notes that, per union rules, Melky Cabrera gets a full playoff share even though he wasn’t anywhere near the team after his suspension and contributed nothing to the playoff and World Series run:
He spent 117 games on the roster this season, and he stood to make 72.2 percent of a full share. But an obscure union rule mandates a full share if a player’s team plays 10 games after the suspended player is eligible to be reinstated. Cabrera was eligible to come back for Game 1 of the NLCS. The Giants chose to keep him on the shelf, but the team also played 11 more playoff games. And that triggers a full share for Melky.
I seem to remember someone else talking about this at the time of his suspension — may have been the Chronicle then too — but it didn’t become official until the Giants actually made the World Series, guaranteeing that the team would play ten games after Cabrera was eligible to be reinstated but was not.
No word on whether the Professionally Outraged will demand that, like the batting title stuff, the rules regarding playoff shares be retroactively set aside because Melky is evil incarnate and stuff.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)