Rick Sutcliffe, four others candidates for the Cubs broadcast booth

Nov 5, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT

old TV

With Bob Brenly gone to Arizona, the Cubs need a new color guy for their broadcasts. We heard recently that Dan Plesac is a candidate. CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney hears that four others are in the running:

With interviews scheduled to begin this week, sources have identified five contenders for the job: Dan Plesac; Rick Sutcliffe; Eric Karros; Todd Hollandsworth; and Gary Matthews.

According to Mooney, Sutcliffe is a long shot, so thank your lucky stars, Cubs fans.

1. Alex K - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I hope he’s right about Sutcliffe being a long shot. I wish, however, that he was a no shot.

2. ibleedroyalblue - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I can’t/won’t listen to Sutcliffe so PLEASE don’t pick him person deciding!!

3. Lukehart80 - Nov 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I think the Cubs should do something radical and allow Len Kasper to call the games by himself. He’s great, and whomever they bring in seems likely to bring down the overall quality of the broadcast. I’m not saying he’s on Vin’s level, but Scully shows a one-man booth can work.

• Alex K - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I wouldn’t be opposed to that. Len is very, very good.

4. Ben Cerow - Nov 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ugh… all of these guys are terrible.

5. 84cubs - Nov 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I just hope its not Hollandsworth or Plesac. Both knowledgable baseball men, but BOTH dont know when to shut-up. Brenly is going to be a tough act to follow to say the least…

6. Gonzo - Nov 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Sarge is gone from the Phillies booth? REJOICE!!!

7. eagles512 - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Please! As a phillies fan, take Gary Matthews!!

8. 1908wasnextyear - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The Cubs have been lucky with both baseball and TV announcers…Kasper/Brenly and Hughes/Santo were both top-notch combinations. Like Santo’s replacement (Moreland), whoever replaces Benly will be a step down…hopefully not too far down, though. As a kid growing up, I didn’t know how good we had it until I listened to some Cardinals and White Sox broadcasts. Ick.
    Good thing, too. It’s an art form to make losing interesting, but Santo was good at it.

• 1908wasnextyear - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Sorry…radio and TV announcers.

9. boyofzimmer - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Plesac please!!! He would be outstanding with Len. Moreland is terrible, maybe the runner up should replace him and join Hughes in the radio booth.

10. mottershead1972 - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

So if the cubs take sutcliffe then I don’t have to listen to him at espn? When I lived in SD he did the tv there and it was brutal…

11. irishdodger - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Three of the candidates are ex-Dodgers Rookie of the Year award winners. What are the odds?

12. pisano - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I don’t care where he goes, just get him out of the games on cable/ Directv , he’s horrible.

13. willclarkgameface - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Dan Plesac – cheesy, but enjoyable. Means absolutely no harm and is very knowledgeable about the game.
    Rick Sutcliffe – Call the Padres channel 4 television affiliate for his audition tape. I’m sure they’d be more than willing to send it out.
    Eric Karros – bad, bad, bad television hair. Karros is MADE for radio.
    Todd Hollandsworth – dude has a massively creepy laugh, but has proven knowledgeable on MLB radio on XM. Maybe not a bad choice.
    Gary Matthews – don’t know enough about the guy.

Dan Plesac gets my vote. Seems like a good guy. Wish him all the best.

14. dgould2020 - Nov 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Absolutely want Sutcliffe. He’s the best ESPN has! Great analysis. No interest in Matthews. He is awful

15. brad18cubs - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing Mark Grace’s name on the list. I would love to have him back in Chicago going after some slump-busters.

16. azvikefan - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

As a D-backs fan, I’m glad they got Brenly. I will miss Gracie though,so if he would go to the Cubs that would be cool.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2951)