Nov 5, 2012, 6:58 AM EDT
[Shinnosuke] Abe drove in the tiebreaking run in the seventh and the Yomiuri bullpen took it from there, as the Giants won the Japan Series with a 4-3 victory over the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in Game 6 on Saturday night at Tokyo Dome … The Giants won the series 4-2 to claim their record 22nd title.
It was the first time that the San Francisco/New York Giants and the Yomiuri Giants won the series in the same year. The NFL Giants are reigning champs too, so it’s starting to get freaky.
If you care about such things, the Giants gaikokujin include John Bowker, who was traded away from the San Francisco Giants in the middle of 2010, thereby missing out on their championship that year. He won an “outstanding player” award for the series, and you can see him on the dogpile in the picture. Also on the roster: Dicky Gonzalez, D.J. Houlton, Scott Mathieson and Edgar Gonzalez (the former Padres infielder, not the Astros pitcher).
Yeah, it’s a slow news day in the majors. Save yourself the obvious comment.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?