Nov 5, 2012, 6:58 AM EDT
[Shinnosuke] Abe drove in the tiebreaking run in the seventh and the Yomiuri bullpen took it from there, as the Giants won the Japan Series with a 4-3 victory over the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in Game 6 on Saturday night at Tokyo Dome … The Giants won the series 4-2 to claim their record 22nd title.
It was the first time that the San Francisco/New York Giants and the Yomiuri Giants won the series in the same year. The NFL Giants are reigning champs too, so it’s starting to get freaky.
If you care about such things, the Giants gaikokujin include John Bowker, who was traded away from the San Francisco Giants in the middle of 2010, thereby missing out on their championship that year. He won an “outstanding player” award for the series, and you can see him on the dogpile in the picture. Also on the roster: Dicky Gonzalez, D.J. Houlton, Scott Mathieson and Edgar Gonzalez (the former Padres infielder, not the Astros pitcher).
Yeah, it’s a slow news day in the majors. Save yourself the obvious comment.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)