Nov 5, 2012, 6:58 AM EST
[Shinnosuke] Abe drove in the tiebreaking run in the seventh and the Yomiuri bullpen took it from there, as the Giants won the Japan Series with a 4-3 victory over the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in Game 6 on Saturday night at Tokyo Dome … The Giants won the series 4-2 to claim their record 22nd title.
It was the first time that the San Francisco/New York Giants and the Yomiuri Giants won the series in the same year. The NFL Giants are reigning champs too, so it’s starting to get freaky.
If you care about such things, the Giants gaikokujin include John Bowker, who was traded away from the San Francisco Giants in the middle of 2010, thereby missing out on their championship that year. He won an “outstanding player” award for the series, and you can see him on the dogpile in the picture. Also on the roster: Dicky Gonzalez, D.J. Houlton, Scott Mathieson and Edgar Gonzalez (the former Padres infielder, not the Astros pitcher).
Yeah, it’s a slow news day in the majors. Save yourself the obvious comment.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)