Nov 5, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
Whiteside, 33, appeared in 12 games with the World Series champion Giants this season and owns a meager .215/.273/.335 batting line and a .608 OPS over 537 plate appearances in the majors. He is arbitration-eligible this offseason, but the Yankees may attempt to slip him through waivers and keep him as a non-roster player.
Whiteside could be in the mix for the backup catcher job during spring training along with former teammate Chris Stewart and Francisco Cervelli, though he is more likely to open next season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)