A surprise at the polls! Willie Stargell beats out Williams and DiMaggio

Nov 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Stargell Stamp

In postage stamps, that is. Earlier this year the Postal Service unveiled their Major League Baseball All-Stars Forever stamps featuring Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Larry Doby and Willie Stargell. They decided to keep track of stamp sales as a little competition. For most of the summer it was Williams and DiMaggio in the lead, but:

Despite coming in third in the pre-sale that was conducted before the stamps were issued, the Postal Service ended up selling 8,220,355 Stargell stamps. Williams was second with 8,209,035 and DiMaggio’s stamp was 8,065,855. Doby finished fourth with 7,844,015.

Voter fraud, I’m sure of it. Everyone on TV tells me it’s rampant!

Not sure who’s buying stamps anyway. How much stuff do you actually mail? I bought a sheet of Christmas stamps last year to send out a couple of random cards. I still have a bunch of them.

1. stex52 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Just shows that they mail a lot more letters in the Pittsburgh area than anywhere else. I guess.

• historiophiliac - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

We know who’s writing Selig about replay then.

2. cur68 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Collectors buy them. Also its possible that the Stargell stamps have an inaccuracy of some sort. If someone’s noticed something, you bet they’ll buy all the sheets of particular edition they can get their hands on. If not that, then the stamp has some other appeal for collectors but its going to be that group going after them in bulk.

• stex52 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

C’mon Cur. Don’t go looking for logic. Get in touch with your inner existentialist. It’s all absurd.

(and never mind my note up above)

3. kkolchak - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM

What are these “stamp” things you keep going on about? Perhaps some timeworn relic of a bygone age?

4. pauleee - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Willie!! My childhood idol. And absolutely reviled by all my LL coaches. You keep twirling that bat and you’ll be sitting the bench. Permanently!

5. indaburg - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I still use stamps on occasion. Hand written thank you cards, holiday cards. An e-card isn’t the same. I embrace technology wholeheartedly, but there really is nothing like getting a hand written letter.

Cool stamp.

• historiophiliac - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

It really isn’t a boycott if you can’t put Canada on notice on your good stationary.

• indaburg - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That’s right. I’m going to write some very stern letters to Canada regarding my boycott. I hear they get really upset when they get stern letters.

• historiophiliac - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You’ll probably get something polite back…but remember, it’s tainted with seal blubber and the metric system.

6. foreverchipper10 - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I play in a pool league and as captain have to mail the dues every week. Not only do I need a stamp the league asks that you pay by check. It keeps me in the 20th century I suppose. Although I couldn’t legally drink then as I was still in high school so maybe that isn’t a good thing.

7. marvinband9 - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Those of us who had the pleasure of watching DiMaggio and Williams play cannot disagree more. Stargell was a great player but no comparison to Williams, DiMaggio, Mantle, Clemente ad infinitum. Sorry.

• stex52 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It’s not trashing Willie Stargell to say that he wasn’t Williams or DiMaggio. He was a great player. They were at another level.

He may have been as popular as they were, though. Certainly a more agreeable guy.

8. IdahoMariner - Nov 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

the sheet i bought at the post office had all four guys on it, five times each…

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug