Nov 6, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times has the full contract breakdown and the deal could be worth as much as $33.5 million. Seriously:
If League finishes 55 games in 2015, the deal will include a $7.5-million player option for a fourth season. If League finishes 55 games in 2015 and 100 games over 2014 and 15, the option will be worth $8.5 million. If he finishes 55 games in 2015 and 150 games in 2013-15, it will be worth $9 million.
League can earn $500,000 in performance-based incentives in every year of the contract: $150,000 for 55 games finished, $250,000 for 60 games finished and $100,000 for 65 games finished.
To put that in some context, nine pitchers finished 55 or more games this year and Jose Valverde led MLB with 67 games finished. So even if the Dodgers hand League the closer job and he doesn’t give it back by pitching horribly he’s no sure thing to reach 55 games finished in 2015, but … yeah, the contract is even crazier than everyone thought last week.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)