Nov 6, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times has the full contract breakdown and the deal could be worth as much as $33.5 million. Seriously:
If League finishes 55 games in 2015, the deal will include a $7.5-million player option for a fourth season. If League finishes 55 games in 2015 and 100 games over 2014 and 15, the option will be worth $8.5 million. If he finishes 55 games in 2015 and 150 games in 2013-15, it will be worth $9 million.
League can earn $500,000 in performance-based incentives in every year of the contract: $150,000 for 55 games finished, $250,000 for 60 games finished and $100,000 for 65 games finished.
To put that in some context, nine pitchers finished 55 or more games this year and Jose Valverde led MLB with 67 games finished. So even if the Dodgers hand League the closer job and he doesn’t give it back by pitching horribly he’s no sure thing to reach 55 games finished in 2015, but … yeah, the contract is even crazier than everyone thought last week.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?