Dustin Pedroia is philosophical about the Bobby Valentine era

Nov 6, 2012, 5:02 PM EST

Dustin Pedroia Getty Getty Images

The first really public strife involving Bobby Valentine and the Sox last year came when Dustin Pedroia called him out in the media for making disparaging comments about Kevin Youkilis (“that’s not how we go about our stuff here”). In light of that — and in light of other rumored issues between Pedroia and Valentine — you’d think that maybe Pedroia would pile on Valentine now like David Ortiz did yesterday.

Nope. He’s rather philosophical about it all, actually:

“I had a meeting with him after I made those comments,” Pedroia said. “We had a team meeting and I went in there and talked to him and kind of expressed how I felt. He expressed things about me, and we were great, man … After they made the decision to fire him, I texted Bobby and told him thank you for the year and sorry that we didn’t accomplish our goals, but I just wanted to tell him I appreciated the things he said to me to make me a better player.”

Gosh, way to spoil a storyline, Pedroia.  Quick: get another Red Sox player on the line. We need more “Bobby be CRAZY” talk.

1. crispybasil - Nov 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

“Hi, can please I speak to Alfredo Aceves?”

• sabatimus - Nov 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Perhaps Craig should have said “get another CREDIBLE Red Sox player on the line”.

2. dcfan4life - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Bobby got fired, and called out Ortiz POST firing. He didn’t do that to Pedroia. No wonder Ortiz fired back. And Ortiz waited until he resigned a guaranteed contract so nothing he said would matter. How many other Red Sox got called out after Bobby got fired and just resigned a contract to be able to bad mouth Valentine? Ya, so good luck finding one…

3. okwhitefalcon - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

“Gosh, way to spoil a storyline” – Craig Calcaterra

I want to personally thank you for not playing the oh so played “narrative” card.

You have my vote for blogger of the year.

4. brandedthefirst - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Craig can make it up if he feels inclined?

5. pisano - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Pedroia and Valentine was a match made in hell, both malignant dwarfs.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester