Nov 6, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Johnny Damon has a new team.
Next week when Thailand attempts to qualify for the World Baseball Classic they’ll have Damon on the roster. Damon, whose mother is Thai, began working out with the team this week and according to The Nation he’ll be involved in team-related charities as well.
Thailand is in Group 4 of the WBC qualifying tournament, matched up against Taiwan, the Philippines, and New Zealand.
Damon, who turned 39 years old yesterday, hit .222 with a .610 OPS in 64 games for the Indians this season before being released on August 9.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 18
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 32
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 19
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)