Nov 6, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Johnny Damon has a new team.
Next week when Thailand attempts to qualify for the World Baseball Classic they’ll have Damon on the roster. Damon, whose mother is Thai, began working out with the team this week and according to The Nation he’ll be involved in team-related charities as well.
Thailand is in Group 4 of the WBC qualifying tournament, matched up against Taiwan, the Philippines, and New Zealand.
Damon, who turned 39 years old yesterday, hit .222 with a .610 OPS in 64 games for the Indians this season before being released on August 9.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)