Mets are “not close” in contract talks with David Wright or R.A. Dickey

Nov 6, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

david wright ap AP

Last week the Mets exercised their 2013 options on David Wright and R.A. Dickey while hoping to work out long-term extensions with both players, but a source told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that deals are “not close.”

Wright and Dickey are both eligible for free agency next offseason and McCullough writes that “general manager Sandy Alderson remains locked in contract negotiations.”

Dickey will make $5 million in 2013 and at age 38 a two- or three-year extension may suffice, but Wright will get $16 million in 2013 and at age 29 he’s rightfully looking to break the bank on a massive long-term pact that would no doubt have to be for well over $100 million.

1. tomgallagher76 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

As a Mets fan, I’m torn on Dickey. The Mets very likely won’t be in the post-season hunt next year. Keeping Wright makes sense, as he would be a stabilizing veteran presence going forward and his face is the face of the franchise. As for Dickey, he’s been my favorite baseball player since joining the Mets (and the face of every fantasy team I’ve had for the last three years) but if they likely aren’t going to contend for another year at least it may make sense to ship his 5 million dollar option to a contender and load up for 2014 and/or beyond. Basically when it comes to trading Dickey instead of re-signing him, my heart would hate it, my head would love it.

• stex52 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I understand your feelings. It’s a business. You go for the best for the team. But I will give you a counter-thought. You can ship out all of your quality players in order to burn down the barn and start over. But who will want to come to games for a two to three year period? You also need to consider marketing issues and putting a desirable product on the field. The Mets won’t run out of money. In fact, having the players to deliver you some extra wins will pay for itself if they aren’t the really high-priced ones.

• thechiefw4 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

IMO, the Mets absolutely MUST sign both players to long term (3+ years) deals. Dickey has already won the “2012 NL Outstanding pitcher of the year” and he did that at 37 years old. Knuckleball pitchers regularly pitch into their Mid 40s (honestly! Check it out. Both Niekros pitched into their 40s with Phil Niekro pitching into his late 40s. Charlie Hough, Tim Wakefield, and Hoyt Wilhelm all pitched well into their 40s, and I see absolutely ZERO reason Dickey shouldn’t be able to do the same. If Dickey walks away with the NL Cy Young Award, he’ll be the first Met pitcher to do so since the Mid 80s which is pretty embarrassing for a Met team which, prior to that had never gone over 12 years without having a Cy Young Award winner. Face it, Dickey is the Mets #1 pitcher, even if by some miracle Santana comes back pitching really well. He deserves, at the very least, a 3 year $30 million/contract with incentives, and a 4th year dual option (Dickey could exercise it at $10 million, the Mets at $12-$15 million).

David Wright, as any Met fan knows, and really anyone who follows the Nat’l League knows, is not only the face of the Mets, but the heart of them. How many of us, as fans, are going to feel good about our team, and make an effort to get out and see them if Wright is allowed to walk (and he WILL walk after next year if the Mets don’t give him a new contract this year, and I won’t blame him). I’d like to know from both parties what the offers are. What’s the hold up?

In fact, I’d love to be the arbitrator in both cases, and I should note, I’ve NEVER been a fan of players who walk away from their long time teams, especially if that team is the one which drafted them and taught them from the minors on, finally giving that player a chance to play in the majors. The overwhelming majority of Met fans love David Wright, and for good reason. Most of us were disappointed Reyes left, but we all were also aware of his propensity to get injured, so we could let it slide.

Well, neither Dickey nor Wright have a propensity to get injured, and barring a couple of off years by Mr. Met (aka Wright :) ), he’s been the most productive, consistent offensive player the Mets have brought up from their farm system and kept, and is probably second only to Mike Piazza as the single most consistently good offensive player. Wright’s defense this past year was also outstanding, reminding me why he’s a 2 time Gold Glove award winner. If Alderson let’s EITHER player go, and fails to sign BOTH of them to long term deals, then they’ll be making a LOUD statement to Met fans, that statement being we’re the new “Pittsburgh Pirates,” or “Montreal Expos” and we’re going to approach not just free agency, but contract extensions paid to our home grown players like that of the smallest market teams in the league. It’s embarrassing. The Mets are in the #1 Media market IN THE WORLD! They have a huge following. The reason not only I, but all of my friends who are Met fans avoided the stadium this year was in protest for letting Reyes walk. If they fail to sign Dickey OR Wright, Mets fans will again NOT SHOW UP!! It’s the only way we have to let management/ownership know we’re unhappy with them and the product they’re giving us.

I think both the Wilpon family and Sandy Alderson fail to understand, in baseball, you have to put a winning product on the field in order to draw fans. You have to INVEST in the team for them to make money. People won’t just show up to watch a team when they continually allow that team’s favorite players to leave as soon as they’re eligible for Free Agency. Alderson said he wanted to wait to see if Dickey was a fluke before offering him a big contract. Dickey showed he wasn’t. Alderson wanted to see if Wright would bounce back once they brought the fences in, before he offered HIM a long term contract. Both of them responded, both deserve long term contracts, and though I would only offer Wright a 6 year $102 million contract (front loaded so when he’s 34 and 35 he’s making maybe $9 million/year.

I can’t express with mere words how frustrated and angry I am with the Alderson, never mind the Wilpons (whom I despise).

2. gpatrick15 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Braves poach David Wright to properly replace Chipper Jones at 3rd.

• gpatrick15 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Through a trade of course, assuming they don’t come to a long term agreement.

• thechiefw4 - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If the Mets CAN’T sign Wright, then they absolutely should trade him, and do it BEFORE the year starts. Although it’s truly beyond me why they’re having trouble signing Dickey, the likely 2012 Cy Young award winner and already named the “2012 NL Outstanding Pitcher of the Year” which is voted on by the players, again, they ought trade him NOW while his value is out of this world rather than allow him to walk at the end of the year.

Of course, trading EITHER of them to an NL East team would be truly moronic, I wouldn’t put it past Alderson. After all, we already have the singular WORST upper management (from GM to the Owners) in the Major Leagues, and as a Tampa Bay resident, I’ve already seen what happens when you have this kind of ownership.

Ya know, I used to love the Mets, even when they were losing (as in the mid to late 70s, early 80s), before Free Agency became the most common way for a player to change teams. In baseball, BEFORE Free Agency, having a great GM meant teams would only be able to change drastically through trade or through the farm system. In today’s game, how much your owners are willing to spend on Free Agents/Contract Extensions has more impact on a team’s success than pretty much anything else. If only there were a way to force the ownership out.

I really do wish there were a way to convince Met fans, should Alderson NOT sign both Wright AND Dickey to multi-year contracts to BOYCOTT! Petitions tend not to have TOO much of an effect, but I would sign, and think just about ALL Met fans would sign petitions making it known to Alderson and his moronic bosses, if they continue to treat our best players as though they were the Bruce Boisclair, George “the Stork” Theodore, Butch Huskey, and Dan Normans of our past, we WILL NOT ATTEND GAMES! As much as I love the Mets, and have been a die-hard fan since I was 3 years old and saw Tommie Agee make two amazing catches in one game (one of my earliest memories), I refuse to financially support an owner who treats us, as fans, as though we don’t matter.

3. johnnyb1976 - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Just trade wright to the reds and the mets don’t have to worry about resigning him. It’s that easy.

4. teaspoon1731 - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Wait, a picture of David Wright with his tongue in his mouth?? What is this black magic?!

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2875)