Nov 6, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
The Orioles signed Cuban defector Henry Urrutia to a minor league contract with a $778,500 signing bonus back in July and were hoping that he’d arrive in the United States in time to get a feel for Double-A ball.
But the Double-A season has been over for seven weeks and Urrutia has yet to step foot on U.S. soil.
According to Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the 25-year-old Urrutia has set up residency in the Dominican Republic but “continues to have difficulty obtaining a visa.” It’s not clear what might be holding up the approval and a resolution is not currently in sight.
Urrutia, who projects a corner outfielder or first baseman, batted .397/.461/.597 with 12 home runs in 305 at-bats for Las Tunas in 2010. He was barred from playing in 2011 after a failed defection attempt.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17