Take a trip down memory lane with the list of minor league free agents

Nov 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

memory_lane

Matt Eddy of Baseball America put together a comprehensive list of 549 players who became minor league free agents and, as you might expect, there are a whole bunch of interesting, blast-from-the-past names.

I recommend reading through the entire list, which is separated by team and good for all sorts of amusement, but here some of my favorites:

Lew Ford
Dallas McPherson
Ryan Garko
Aaron Heilman
Ryan Spilborghs
Jack Cust
Mike MacDougal

If you had the players listed above and took a time machine back to like 2005 … well, you wouldn’t actually have a good team, but you could definitely trade them for the players needed to have a great team.

1. historiophiliac - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Spilborghs :(

I recall when he was called up…

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Loewen might get a Triple A contract from the Jays.

3. rockthered1286 - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

About 1/3 are former O’s.

Ha.

4. Alex K - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I remember being pissed when the Cubs signed Edmonds because I thought it would hurt Felix Pie’s development.

• paperlions - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Looks like you were right. ;-)

• Alex K - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

That’s what I was getting at!

5. kkolchak - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

When I looked at the big list, this name immediately popped out at me: Daniel Cabrera. The prototypical “million dollar are am and ten cent head.”

6. metalhead65 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

how does somebody as awful as patterson keep getting a job even in the minors?

• kkolchak - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Oh, you know, “intangibles,” clubhouse chemistry,” that kind of thing.

• thereisaparty - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Patterson is easily one of the better players on that list. He is just a replacement level utility OF at this point, but that’s more value than most of the above players are able to provide.

7. steve7921 - Nov 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

That looks like the roster of the Rays back in the early 2000’s!

8. 18thstreet - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It’s a list of every stupid fantasy baseball draft pick I ever made. This guy’s gonna break out this year! I know it!

• 18thstreet - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I swear I once offered by entire team to get Joel Pineiro. I was sure that guy was going to be GREAT.

And I still couldn’t close the deal, because my would-be trading partner loved him, too.

9. dwrek5 - Nov 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Dallas McPherson was the fantasy dork of the year the 1st time I played fantasy. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for DM. Im sure somebody still has him on their minor league roster.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4499)
  2. M. Kemp (3617)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2546)
  5. J. Kang (2451)
  1. J. Upton (2418)
  2. A. Rios (2154)
  3. C. Headley (2146)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1948)
  5. J. Peavy (1825)