Nov 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Matt Eddy of Baseball America put together a comprehensive list of 549 players who became minor league free agents and, as you might expect, there are a whole bunch of interesting, blast-from-the-past names.
I recommend reading through the entire list, which is separated by team and good for all sorts of amusement, but here some of my favorites:
If you had the players listed above and took a time machine back to like 2005 … well, you wouldn’t actually have a good team, but you could definitely trade them for the players needed to have a great team.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 6
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)