Nov 6, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Torii Hunter.
The 37 year-old (who turns 38 in July) has expressed interest in playing in Boston in the past, in large part because of the presence of his longtime friend, Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz.
A lot of teams should be interested in Hunter, assuming he doesn’t want too long a deal. I feel, however, that only about 5% of “this player likes this team because of geography/friend on the team” factors ever wind up really determining anything. It’s all about role and money.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 35
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 117
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (117)