Nov 6, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
After much deliberation, which has included a lot of consultation with my coaches and trainers, I have decided that I will not play in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. This was a very difficult decision for me as it is always a tremendous honor to represent my native country of Japan. I greatly enjoyed being a part of the 2009 Championship ballclub and I will be supporting this year’s team as they look to defend their title.
Darvish threw 191 1/3 innings during the 2012 regular season and went another 6 2/3 frames in the Rangers’ AL Wild Card Game loss to the Orioles.
So he can use whatever additional rest he can find heading into his second full major league campaign.
“My ultimate goal is to help win a World Series with the Texas Rangers and to share that accomplishment with the great baseball fans in Japan,” the 26-year-old native of Osaka concluded in his statement.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 61
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 94
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)