A pretty decent election night for the HardballTalk platform

Nov 7, 2012, 7:02 AM EDT

Woodrow Wilson

Look, I realize this is tenuous at best, but every baseball newsmaker in the country was watching election stuff last night too rather than making baseball news so the pickings are slim this morning. Anyway:

• An issue on the ballot in Wilmington, North Carolina that would have spent $37 million in public funds to build a baseball stadium resoundingly failed. The Atlanta Braves backed it and would have moved a single-A team there if it had succeeded. Worth noting that $37 million is less than the annual pay of the CEO of Liberty Media, which owns the Braves, so if they really wanted a ballpark there so bad they could have built it themselves;
  • Connie Mack IV, the great grandson of Hall of Fame owner-manager Connie Mack, was beat in the Florida senate race. This comes 20 years after he got into a bar fight with former big leaguer Ron Gant, by the way;
  • Ben Chandler, the grandson of former baseball commissioner Happy Chandler, lost his U.S. House seat in Kentucky.
  • A former baseball writer/sabermetrician correctly predicted the outcome of the presidential race in all 50 states despite (a) being derided as a pansy-looking stat geek who lives in his mother’s basement;  and (b) being marginalized as someone who is somehow unqualified to have insights on the subject about which he writes because he isn’t part of the journalist/pundit establishment which thinks data-free narratives and amorphous concepts like “momentum” and “gut feel” matter.

To sum up: a loss for a publicly funded ballpark, a loss for a guy who once punched a player I like in the crotch and a loss for the proudly innumerate.  Not a bad night. Not a bad night at all.

1. Old Gator - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Residents of Macondo also passed a bunch of ballot initiatives, like term limits on the corrupt little hookers who populate its county commission. According to both exit polls and polls leading up to the election, this was just more fallout from the backroom maneuvering that stuffed an unwanted Macondo Banana Massacre Field down our throats.

Of course, many of the commissioners who will have to find real jobs in a couple of years are gonna land their ample derrieres in thank-you consulting positions with the contractors and various other companies who padded their campaigns and dinners so lushly in return for the stadium windfall. But hey, at least they’ll be out of our hair. You gotta start someplace.

And in these tough times, they also passed a nonbinding initiative to set up a trust fund to cut down on stray pet euthanization. Of course, after clearing the raccoons and possums out of the Everglades first, our feral Burmese and African rock pythons will have wiped out our stray dogs and cats by the time the program starts running anyway.

• kiwicricket - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM

But what about those pesky Meerkats?

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Similar thing here, Gator. We paid for a new baseball field and arena in an effort to also get street repairs. After minimal road work, they came back to ask for more “quality of life upgrades” — literally deciding to ask for the money first and then figuring out what to spend it on next (actually recruiting for ideas). Still waiting for that road work, which at best is not even supposed to bring us up to average quality…

• samu0034 - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I know it’s an ecological disaster, but I really can’t help but be fascinated by the whole pythons in the Everglades thing. It just seems like one of those “Oh yeah, that was pretty stupid of us…” situations. Something we should have seen coming from day one. Oops.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The whole pythons in the Everglades thing can be summed up thusly. “Hey, Velma, I think I’m gonna get me one of them pythons.” “But Vern you ain’t got no teeth. Shoudn’t you go to the dentist?” “Be quiet, woman, pythons is cool.” Fast forward…. “Holy crap, this thing sure did get big. These things are tropical right? I’ll just put it in its natural habitat. (How do I know the word habitat?) Here ya go snakey, the alligators are gonna prolly get ya.” Ummmm, no….

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Well then, we’ll just have to keep our Circling the Bases community apprised of the Second First Annual Invasive Species Festival (celebrating Florida’s diversity!) , which is going to be held at Churchill’s Pub in early February. Last year’s was the single biggest musical night in Macondo, featuring invasive species cuisine (tilapia tacos, northern snakehead ceviche, python chowder, lionfish fillets, etc.), showings of the Australian classic film Cane Toads, and an all day and night roundup of some of the best Florida folk and blues and rock – spearheaded by the great Valerie C. Wisecracker, Mother Florida herself.

By the way, they call it the Second First Annual Invasive Species festival because we still have lots of First Annual Invasive Species Festival T-shirts left over from last year. Assuming they sell out this time, the next one will be called the First Second Annual Invasive Species Festival. Makes sense, right? It’s just our little way of proving that radical environmentalism and fiscal conservatism can get along.

Craig himself proudly wears his Invasive Species Festival T-shirt. Right, Craigster?

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I do! It’s a go-to t-shirt for hoodie + t-shirt days.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I do! It’s a go-to t-shirt for hoodie + t-shirt days.

So fall/winter days that end in y?

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Yes, O.G., let us know the date. It’s been awhile since I’ve visited Macondo. I’ve heard lionfish is as delicious as Chilean sea bass, and I’ve always been curious to know what python tastes like. Best eat them before they eat us.

• buddaley - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I’m sorry I don’t have the reference or the numbers, but I think there is a convincing hypothesis that the python invasion was not the result of released pets but of hurricanes breaking up the boxes housing 100s of young pythons who escaped into the everglades. Apparently enough survived to create a breeding population and, as a new and unfamiliar predator, its prey was unable to adapt its escape strategies.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Buddaley, illegal dumping of exotic (and not so exotic) species has been a big problem in Florida. It is sadly quite common for unwanted cats and dogs to be dumped in the Everglades left to fend for themselves. The theory you mentioned has some plausability but the problem was likely compounded by dumb asses.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

So long as beavers are not harmed in the making of your ecosystem, I am not fussed. I think I’d march on Florida if they launched a “Get Rid of The Beaver” Campaign.

Anyhow, as a surprise to no one who was paying attention, in spite of some chicanery with the voting machines, thuggery at the polls, prognosticating from Faux News, and anvil jawed manfullness from the Republican Nominee, I understand it was a Democratic victory. At least that’s the last I heard from the Blitzing Of The Wolfs. Should be a good day on the intertubes with all this.

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Define Good.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yeah Cur…define good.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Rage!

• natstowngreg - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I’m guessing that, by “good,” you mean heavy Internet traffic from the losing side’s rage-filled partisans. Given how polarized our country is, that was guaranteed.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I see we all have a firm grasp of semantics and context. I’ve been mulling over republican strategy. Here’s what I got:
        I’m thinking that given the result two elections in a row, the Republican Party needs a major overhaul strategy wise. They failed pretty badly. Its funny that they didn’t see what seemed obvious: Obama won not because he’s the best man for the job, but he was clearly the better of the two men running for the job. He was always going to win with Romney shifting from centrist Republican to far right nut job without a plan. If they’d asked my advice a few months ago I’d have said the key to victory was simple: you want to be the same as Obama, economic policy wise. Just call it “Good Old Reaganomics”. Because that’s what it is. Then you want to KEEP universal healthcare but take it further: “Obama didn’t do enough! We’ll do more and do it better! just like Reagan wanted” After that, ape his platform on every pretty much every issue, making hay out of your family’s poverty-stricken/welfare-made-good roots. Give your platform a nice catchy name and sell yourself as “Obama, Only Better”. The founding principle of your campaign would be “Obama did ok. We can do better.” Then patronize the hell out of the president in every debate. Your tone would be something like: “Not bad, I guess. You did ok. Now here’s what you SHOULD have done…” If they go with that for 2016, should the Zombie Apocalypse not overtake us by then of course, I bet they mop the floor with the Democrats.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Citing Reagan wouldn’t work. If Reagan ran today, he would be considered too centrist and moderate for the Tea Partiers and Evangelicals. The GOP needs to divorce themselves from those looney factions and join us back in the middle. Drop the social issues from their platform and stick to pure economic and fiscal responsibility. Be more inclusive to those of us who don’t need to wear SPF 50. If they don’t evolve, they will face extinction.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Our state’s residents also had the shocking wisdom to says, “Mais non” to almost all of those verbose and misleading amendments, including the so-called religious freedom one (aka separation of church and state? Bah, who needs it), providing tax breaks to wealthy snowbirds at the expense of permanent residents and social services, and the anti-abortion one (we only respect life while it’s in the womb, once yer born buddy, you are on your own). Although I may be giving too much credit to our fellow Floridians. They may have just said, “This is just too much reading so ‘no’ to everything.”

It was a good night for Nate Silver too. His predictions were almost eerily accurate (well, they were eerie if you don’t believe in numbers and just go by things like intangibles and what my old neighbor was yelling across the lawn.)

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Slate already has an article up — headline: Obama’s Big Win Does Not Mean Nate Silver Is A Towering Electoral Genius. ha ha

(but there’s also another about who owes him an apology — playing it both ways, I guess)

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Inda: we also voted to preserve the integrity of the state supreme court. All in all, not a bad night for Florida.

Michelle “Crazy Eyes” Bachmann seems to have squeaked by, though. I guess Minnesota, have gone so solidly Democratic in so many other local and national elections, just wanted to make sure that its psychotics and dumbshits were adequately represented. She may not be very sane or bright, but she sure is great theater – something a Floridian would necessarily have to appreciate in his politics, no?

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Yes, we preserved the balance of power between the legislative and judicial branches of our government. Pinch me just to make sure I’m not dreaming.

I always appreciate the theater of the absurd, especially in my politics. Dali’s one of my faves for a reason, and most politics is just a living, breathing manisfestation of the great Spaniard’s work.

• yahmule - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It isn’t just her eyes that are crazy. Voters did so many things right last night, it’s a damn shame they screwed up the call on Bachmann.

• mncharm - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Can’t believe we almost toppled Bachmann in MN. Redistricting made her district even more conservative — and most of the crazies in MN were already in her old district. Getting this close was amazing. Would have been awesome to see her go down.

I’ll settle for getting the state House and Senate back in DFL hands, and shooting down the Voter ID and marriage amendment. Solid day for MN.

It’s now been six years since the GOP won a statewide election in MN, and they only won that one (TPaw) because the DFL nominated a lunatic to run against him.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

“Be more inclusive to those of us who don’t need to wear SPF 50. If they don’t evolve, they will face extinction.”

This (above essentially everything else)…sums it up most succinctly. Well done Inda.

I will add with roughly 4,000,000 more registered Hispanic voters this election how could this NOT be a focal point? Marco Rubio could have helped a great deal. Not saying enough to swing it back the other way…but it would have certainly helped. Dude is squared away. Polished.
        Perhaps to young right now. But the guy is impressive.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The problem is that many Republicans don’t believe in evolution. Intelligent design is where it’s at (we’ve got two turntables and a microphone).

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

stlouis1: in Florida – much moreso than in other states – Marco Rubio is regarded as a Cuban American rather than as a Latin American. That’s just a function of the balkanization of Florida, especially south Florida. The overwhelming majority of non-Cuban Latinos vote Democratic, thanks in no small part to their perception that Republicans like the undead Governor Cactusface of Arizona are waging war against them. They don’t have the brainlocking ideological boogeyman of Castro to contend with and generally couldn’t care less.

Regardless, a sizable number of Cuban-Americans, especially those under 30, are rejecting the Jurassic Park politics of their parents and especially their grandparents. Obama took 40% of the Cuban vote in 2008. I’m going to be interested to see how that went last night.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Old Gator got the breakdown of the Hispanic vote 100% correct. Most of us non-Cuban Latin-Americans view Rubio suspiciously at best and a complete sell-out at worst. Castro isn’t an issue of significance to us. I am also curious to see the breakdown of the Cuban-American vote by age. Have you guys finished counting those votes down in Macondo yet?

The Republicans need someone to drag them, kicking and screaming, into the future. Someone who isn’t fraid to tell Rush Limbaugh, the de facto leader of the party, to shut his crazy extremist piehole. You know who I really liked? McCain in 1999, way before he sold his soul in 2008, when he really was a maverick. When he called the Christian Coalition a bunch of hypocrites back in ’99, I gave money to a political campaign for the first time ever. He had cojones. Then he snipped them off.

2. kiwicricket - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Is that some sort of weird hybrid knuckler/splitter hes throwing?

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

BTW, kiwi, the impeachment talk has already started…as well as floating candidates for 2016. It will never, ever be over.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Impeachment? Oh, brother. That’s just sour pusses being sour. I may have to turn on Faux News for some unintentional comedy this morning.

• kiwicricket - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Impeachment? That’s the non-sex cigar thing, right? Look forward to it.

• skids003 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Never happen with the liberal propaganda machine the media has become. From Benghazi to Fast and Furious, it all magically is forgotten.

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Probably because it’s all in your head, Skids.

• stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Step 1 to recovery for the Repbulican party. Stop blaming the media for your failures. It’s amazing how quickly things could get better for you if you just did that.

• stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Okay “Republican”

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and say that a majority of the people simply didn’t favor the Republican platform. I know it is a crazy idea, but maybe….just maybe….candidates that lost just weren’t who “the people” wanted to represent them and their concerns.

People entertain the hell out of me (I don’t particularly like them, but they are funny). People only like democracy when they are part of the majority….when their opinions are in the minority, they hate democracy.

• yahmule - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I hope to god they do, but I fear this will only make them double down on the craziness. A ticket of Jindal/Perry in 4 years? Maybe Bachmann gets involved somehow? Things could get a lot worse.

• yahmule - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I don’t think you actually read my post beyond the opening sentence.

• yahmule - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

My comment was directed @ historiophiliac.

I hope they go that route, too, Church.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Wait, which one was for me?

• yahmule - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I thought you responded to this:

“After seeing their hateful and divisive platform soundly repudiated last night, I expect the Republicans to take a hard look at the Tea Party nuts and religious fundamentalist whack jobs who have hijacked their party. Then I expect them to blame everything on Romney and declare there’s nothing wrong with what they’re doing.

Four years from now, natural attrition will rob them of a percentage of the older members of their base and all the 14-17 years olds – who overwhemlingly reject their ideas – will be part of the electorate. They just don’t have enough angry white men to sustain this thing.”

With this:

“Oh, please. If you noticed on the map last night, there was a giant red L (for loser) in the middle and south. They will never retreat and never surrender! They have seen the enemy and it is bi-coastal.”

No big deal, either way. We’re on the same side of the issues.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Sorry, I should’ve clarified that my “L comment” was in response to Paper. I’m really trying hard not to go off on people today.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

‘philiac, what’s wrong with being bi? Coastal, that is.

The enemy is not comprised of the two coasts. It’s people who look like me, people whose last names have a tendency to end in the letter ‘z.’ We haven’t invaded the middle very much… yet.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Burgie, you are wrong. The Hispanic presence has gotten much stronger here — that’s why the nut jobs had to institute “immigration reform” several years back (don’t start me).

The problem w/ the bi-coasts is that they want to be clever instead of fixing America…and I’m the one that has to live with the blow-back. It makes me bitter every time. Geez, I’m already going into Bill the Cat mode. :(

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Our presence has increased in the mid-west, but it’s not yet at NY-Cali-Florida levels. We will get there though. We reproduce like jack-rabbits.

As for fixing problems, that’s not just a bi-coastal road block. Everyone is too involved in their pissing contests and proving themselves correct to work together towards the greater good.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I promised I wouldn’t rant. Don’t worry.

It’s funny that you said the reproducing thing b/c one of our state legislators got in trouble a few years back for bad-mouthing the Catholic church by claiming that all their new members were “illegals” (code: Hispanic) — and that his denomination (Baptist) was handling immigration properly. He’s now on trial for bribery and has left office.

• natstowngreg - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Dunno, but I have to wonder about Woodrow Wilson’s pitching mechanics.

• Gamera the Brave - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

greg,
        look at that crazy-tight jacket he’s wearing – I’m impressed he could get his arm up that high without cutting off the circulation…

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

That’s the “segregation splitter.” (sorry, i couldn’t resist)

3. koufaxmitzvah - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Weird results from deep in the heart of Texas. A slim majority still wants the state to secede from the Union while overwhelmingly keep the Astros in the National League.

• kiwicricket - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

America seems more and more like many different countries.
      In no way, shape or form do the southern states identify to the north east, California is a different planet compared to some central states.

Why not divvy it up? East/West/South/Middle.
      Would create some fantastic baseball rivalries.

• stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

They tried in the 1860’s. Didn’t work out so well.

• sumerduckman - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

America has always been a collection of differing countries/cultures.

Read, ” American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard “. Great book.

• indaburg - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

No, kiwi, It’s way more fun the way it is now.

Another problem with your proposal is that a lot of those anti-gov’t red southern states are too dependent on the largesse of the larger, wealthier, and bluer states. It’s an awful conundrum for them, being dependent on the institution they despise.

That said, I personally woudn’t mind giving Texas back to the Mexicans. (Sorry, stex.)

• stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Actually, Indaburg, Texas is going back to the Mexicans as we speak. That grandson I talk about so much? His name is Gonzalez.

And why do you think Bush could win when other Republicans couldn’t? Texas governors can’t win without close ties to the Latino community.One day in the not too distant future Texas will be a swing state.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

When I was working in Mexico in the late 90’s, I was in a truck from Texas Tech University. An old Mexican gentle man had this to say (forgive my poor grammar and spelling):

“oye, estan de Tejas?” (Hey, you guys from Texas?)

Me: “Si, desde la universidad de Texas Tech”

“Les prestamos Tejas los Estadidos Unidos para que se hacen el pavimiento. Estan a punto a terminarlo. Asi, lo estamos reclamando.” (We loaned Texas to the US so they could pave it. They are almost done, so we are taking it back.)

He wasn’t joking, but it was pretty damned funny.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’ve been a lot of different places in this country but the one that was the hardest for me to navigate was New England. It really was like a completely different country. I couldn’t tell what the hell some of them were saying, I had to shop/cook differently because the available ingredients weren’t the same, and it took me some time to get used to their habits. I never dreamed it would be so hard to get on with people from my own country.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Historio:

I hear ya….change can be…well…challenging. I grew up across the river from StL (in IL, but you could see the Arch from my front yard in the winter, no leaves, less smog). Since then, I’ve lived (in order) in rural IL, NE Minnesota (on the Canadian border), Minneapolis, West Texas, Puerto Rico, Paraguay, West Texas, and Connecticut. The most difficult place for me to live was Lubbock Texas. It was the most foreign place to me (even though I had to learn Spanish, PR and Paraguay were less foreign/difficult to adjust to). The only things I miss about TX are the cheaper gas, the cheap brisket, and the authentic MX and NM cuisine you could find there.

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I didn’t have the same problems in Colorado, Ohio, or Maryland. Let me put it this way: I don’t think I have an accent — maybe I do, but I’m sure as hell not taking shit for it from a Southie. lol

• stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Actually koufax, what’s wrong with that? If Canada can have a team in the AL, the Republic of Texas needs one in each league. :-)

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I’m with you, Stex, especially bout dem Stros. I will no longer get to see real Dodgers baseball in this state.

As for the Republic, as long as the Guv pays for his own rental and I can get my Congressman back, it’ll be cool. But I’m so damn pissed that my representative hails from 3 hrs away.

4. heyblueyoustink - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Hurricane, Election, Nor Easter……… man, they have baseball in, um, New Zealand or something, right? And internet access?

5. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

posting without commentary:

photo/1

• natstowngreg - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This Hasan Ahmad fellow looks interesting. Just one disturbing descriptor — “Canadian.”

BTW, Nate Silver and Chuck Todd Rock. And not because of who won; this is a non-partisan assessment.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Agree about Nate Silver…the man is a goddamned wizard.

However, Chuck Todd is a media hack of epic proportions. Only Mark Halperin and David Gregory are bigger corporate ass-kissing tools.

• natstowngreg - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Wizard? Let’s not get carried away. Nate Silver came up with a way to aggregate hundreds of polls and filter out their biases. Pretty impressive, and he does Rock, but he’s not the only one who has done that. He’s gotten the best results and the most attention.

Disagree completely on Chuck Todd. He understands the numbers and what they mean, can explain them in plain English, and clearly enjoys the inside game of politics. And, in his spare time, he reports from The White House.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Hey!

• natstowngreg - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

6. tvguy22 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

“was beaten”, not ” was beat”

7. aceshigh11 - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Did Randy the Dandy blow his brains out?

One can only hope. The GOP tears taste so sweet.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I guess it depends on your perspective Aces.
      Personally, when I see/hear Chuck Todd speak I immediately think “left.”
      What is your issue(s) with him specifically?

• historiophiliac - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You say “left” like it’s a bad thing.

8. dprat - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Just had to come on here to slag on Fiorentino (I know, fish/barrel… ). Remember his quote last week:

“Rasmussen Reports is the best online polling website on the planet. I wouldn’t trust a blogger on NYTimes.com [Nate Silver] to be neutral any more than I would trust a blogger on FoxNews.com to be neutral.”

For the record, in picking the winners of the nine swing states:
    Rasmussen: 3 correct (NH,NC,NV), 4 wrong (VA, IA,CO,FL), 2 Rasmussen called dead even (OH,WI) – in another words, about the same level of accuracy, maybe slightly worse, than someone who picked the winners out of a hat
    Nate Silver: 9 out of 9 correct

• shynessismyelguapo - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Oh yes, this is delicious.

9. APBA Guy - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM

One of the conservative members of our APBA league called Nate Silver “lucky” in reference to his 2008 49/50 performance, citing Rasmussen as the purveyeor of all that is true.

He’s been eerily quiet on his Facebook page today.

Snicker, snicker.

10. eagles512 - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM

But we re-elected a guy has been a failure. Not a good night.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM

It’s unanimous: you are as wrong as Romney and the Republicans are for this country.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB