Nov 7, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli comes word that Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz had surgery last month to repair a torn muscle in the lower part of his abdomen, officially termed a rectus abdominis tear.
Matusz pitched with the injury for the final three months of the regular season and was fully aware that some kind of offseason treatment was needed. He should be fully recovered by the time spring training opens in February and is expected to compete for a spot in Baltimore’s starting rotation.
The 25-year-old southpaw posted a 4.87 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 81/41 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season for the eventual American League Wild Card champions. He made 16 starts and 18 relief appearances.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)