Nov 7, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli comes word that Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz had surgery last month to repair a torn muscle in the lower part of his abdomen, officially termed a rectus abdominis tear.
Matusz pitched with the injury for the final three months of the regular season and was fully aware that some kind of offseason treatment was needed. He should be fully recovered by the time spring training opens in February and is expected to compete for a spot in Baltimore’s starting rotation.
The 25-year-old southpaw posted a 4.87 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 81/41 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season for the eventual American League Wild Card champions. He made 16 starts and 18 relief appearances.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)