Nov 7, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli comes word that Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz had surgery last month to repair a torn muscle in the lower part of his abdomen, officially termed a rectus abdominis tear.
Matusz pitched with the injury for the final three months of the regular season and was fully aware that some kind of offseason treatment was needed. He should be fully recovered by the time spring training opens in February and is expected to compete for a spot in Baltimore’s starting rotation.
The 25-year-old southpaw posted a 4.87 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 81/41 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season for the eventual American League Wild Card champions. He made 16 starts and 18 relief appearances.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)