Nov 7, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli comes word that Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz had surgery last month to repair a torn muscle in the lower part of his abdomen, officially termed a rectus abdominis tear.
Matusz pitched with the injury for the final three months of the regular season and was fully aware that some kind of offseason treatment was needed. He should be fully recovered by the time spring training opens in February and is expected to compete for a spot in Baltimore’s starting rotation.
The 25-year-old southpaw posted a 4.87 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 81/41 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season for the eventual American League Wild Card champions. He made 16 starts and 18 relief appearances.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)