Nov 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
This news is admittedly probably only interesting to longtime Baseball Think Factory visitors, but since I’m included in that group here’s a post about it.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that Diamondbacks international scouting director Carlos Gomez has been hired away by the Angels to fill the same role. Prior to becoming Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto worked with Gomez in Arizona’s front office.
And here’s why I really, really like this story: Before becoming a big deal in the baseball world Gomez was a former college and independent league pitcher who wrote regularly at Baseball Think Factory under the name “ChadBradfordWannabe.”
He hung out in the various discussion threads and wrote excellent articles breaking down pitching mechanics. And now he’ll be running his second MLB international scouting department.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)