Nov 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
This news is admittedly probably only interesting to longtime Baseball Think Factory visitors, but since I’m included in that group here’s a post about it.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that Diamondbacks international scouting director Carlos Gomez has been hired away by the Angels to fill the same role. Prior to becoming Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto worked with Gomez in Arizona’s front office.
And here’s why I really, really like this story: Before becoming a big deal in the baseball world Gomez was a former college and independent league pitcher who wrote regularly at Baseball Think Factory under the name “ChadBradfordWannabe.”
He hung out in the various discussion threads and wrote excellent articles breaking down pitching mechanics. And now he’ll be running his second MLB international scouting department.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)