Nov 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
This news is admittedly probably only interesting to longtime Baseball Think Factory visitors, but since I’m included in that group here’s a post about it.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that Diamondbacks international scouting director Carlos Gomez has been hired away by the Angels to fill the same role. Prior to becoming Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto worked with Gomez in Arizona’s front office.
And here’s why I really, really like this story: Before becoming a big deal in the baseball world Gomez was a former college and independent league pitcher who wrote regularly at Baseball Think Factory under the name “ChadBradfordWannabe.”
He hung out in the various discussion threads and wrote excellent articles breaking down pitching mechanics. And now he’ll be running his second MLB international scouting department.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 20
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 187
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)