Nov 7, 2012, 12:53 PM EST
Brian Taylor, the former No. 1 overall pick and one-time elite Yankees pitching prospect, has been sentenced to 38 months in prison for distributing crack cocaine.
Taylor, who’s now 40 years old, was arrested in March after undercover police bought what the Associated Press describes as “a large quantity of cocaine and crack cocaine from him” during a multiple-month period. He plead guilty in August.
Taylor got a $1.55 million signing bonus in 1991 and was considered the best pitching prospect in baseball before he suffered significant shoulder injuries during a fist fight. He missed the entire 1994 season and was never the same, failing to reach the majors.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)