Nov 7, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Guthrie then had a nice 14-start stretch for the Royals and now Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he’s seeking a three-year, $34 million contract as a free agent. General manager Dayton Moore understandably sounds like he’s ready to pursue other targets.
Guthrie is a solid enough pitcher and has been durable, throwing at least 175 innings in six straight seasons, but he’s a 34-year-old with a 4.28 career ERA that includes a 4.76 mark this year and a 4.38 mark in 2011.
If that’s worth $34 million over three years then some team is going to have to just offer Zack Greinke majority ownership of the franchise or something.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)