Nov 7, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Guthrie then had a nice 14-start stretch for the Royals and now Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he’s seeking a three-year, $34 million contract as a free agent. General manager Dayton Moore understandably sounds like he’s ready to pursue other targets.
Guthrie is a solid enough pitcher and has been durable, throwing at least 175 innings in six straight seasons, but he’s a 34-year-old with a 4.28 career ERA that includes a 4.76 mark this year and a 4.38 mark in 2011.
If that’s worth $34 million over three years then some team is going to have to just offer Zack Greinke majority ownership of the franchise or something.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)