Nov 7, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Guthrie then had a nice 14-start stretch for the Royals and now Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that he’s seeking a three-year, $34 million contract as a free agent. General manager Dayton Moore understandably sounds like he’s ready to pursue other targets.
Guthrie is a solid enough pitcher and has been durable, throwing at least 175 innings in six straight seasons, but he’s a 34-year-old with a 4.28 career ERA that includes a 4.76 mark this year and a 4.38 mark in 2011.
If that’s worth $34 million over three years then some team is going to have to just offer Zack Greinke majority ownership of the franchise or something.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead