Nov 7, 2012, 2:40 PM EST
Today the Dodgers made official what was reported last week, announcing Mark McGwire as their new hitting coach.
McGwire replaces Dave Hansen, who was fired as the Dodgers’ hitting coach and then quickly hired by the Mariners to fill the same role.
McGwire spent the past three seasons as the Cardinals’ hitting coach and was consistently praised for the job he did, as the lineup ranked sixth, first, and second among NL teams in scoring under his tutelage.
St. Louis wanted him back in 2013, but McGwire is from California, makes his offseason home there, and wanted to be closer to his family year-round.
St. Louis has already promoted John Mabry from assistant hitting coach to hitting coach as McGwire’s replacement.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)