Nov 7, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Today the Dodgers made official what was reported last week, announcing Mark McGwire as their new hitting coach.
McGwire replaces Dave Hansen, who was fired as the Dodgers’ hitting coach and then quickly hired by the Mariners to fill the same role.
McGwire spent the past three seasons as the Cardinals’ hitting coach and was consistently praised for the job he did, as the lineup ranked sixth, first, and second among NL teams in scoring under his tutelage.
St. Louis wanted him back in 2013, but McGwire is from California, makes his offseason home there, and wanted to be closer to his family year-round.
St. Louis has already promoted John Mabry from assistant hitting coach to hitting coach as McGwire’s replacement.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)