Nov 7, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
The Mets made the easy decision last month to exercise a $5 million club option for 2013 on R.A. Dickey. But now they’re working on a multi-year extension with the knuckleballer. And working hard.
Dickey told Marc Carig of Newsday on Wednesday night that negotiations have “progressed” and that he feels the “franchise is going in the right direction.”
Dickey, 38, posted a stellar 2.73 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 34 appearances (33 starts) this season, fanning 230 batters and issuing only 54 walks in 233 2/3 innings. He should get a two- or three-year deal.
Dickey was named a finalist for the BBWAA’s National League Cy Young Award earlier this evening.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 13
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 97
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)