Padres Yasmani Grandal gets a 50-game suspension for testosterone

Nov 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

Yasmani Grandal AP AP

And with this, the Padres are in the market for a catcher:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Grandal was a rookie in 2012 and, after making a nice big splash with a home run streak after his callup, he missed a lot of time due to an oblique injury.

One wonders if he was so eager, now that he finally had a shot at a regular big league job, that he went a bridge too far in trying to come back from the injury. Or to compensate for lost power as a result of it.

UPDATE: Grandal has released a statement:

“I am responsible for what I put into my body. I must accept responsibility for my actions and serve my suspension.”

1. icanspeel - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Ouch, that hurts the Padres a lot. At least they have Nick Hundley who is due for a bounce back year, but Grandal is supposed to be a big part of their team moving forward.

2. mottershead1972 - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

As a padre fan…this seems appropriate.

3. zacksdad - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I would like him to “explain” his actions with truth. Not the usual I took something and and did not know what was in it. I would like to hear that he was trying to recover and decided to speed it up by injecting Testosterone.

• yaryers - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

No one will ever say that, and you don’t even know that is the case.

He didn’t say “I took something and didn’t know what was in it.” He just said he’s responsible for what he took.

• zacksdad - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I never stated he said “I took something and didn’t know what was in it.”. I stated I hope he does not state the usual statement. I just would love some honesty. I get tired of the I am sorry that I did it, when they actually mean is that I am sorry I got caught. If he truly felt responsible for his actions, then he should have admitted it before testing positive. But then again he states he must “accept” the responsibility since he was caught.

• sabatimus - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

zacksdad, you wrote “Not the usual I took something and and did not know what was in it.” You are 100% suggesting he said this or at least believes it. You’re reading a ton into his very short statement, a ton based on the statements of OTHER players.

• zacksdad - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

@sabatimus, I thought the statement “Not the usual” meant most of the time. Never did I realize “Usual” means 100% of the time. I guess I need to go to the English school you are from. Let me explain my statement to your 5 year old mind.

Most (not 100%) people that get caught doing PEDs try to wiggle out of responsibility. Bonds claimed he was unaware the clear and other stuff had illegal bad stuff in it. Braun fought the delivery of his urine, not what was in it. Manny most of been trying to get pregnant. Armstrong claimed they were out to get him and made all his friends and teammates lie. Petite was one of few (less than 50% for English challenged) people that admitted he used to recover from injuries.

I never put words in his mouth, your mouth or any other people’s comments. I just thought it would be refreshing again to have some honesty from the “cheater”, not a bland statement it happened and I am responsible.

• metalhead65 - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

you are wasting your time here on the official ped’s don’t matter site known as hbt. all they care about are the glorious saber metrics these cheaters put out not how they came up with them. these are the same people who take up for bonds and sosa and say the roids they took had no bearing on their precious stats when anybody with a brain knows they could not have and would not have put them up without the help of the roids they took. but in their world it does not matter only the numbers they put up.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

You are still an idiot….but at least you are consistent. You don’t require evidence for any of your beliefs.

• metalhead65 - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

if by evidence you mean looking at a guy who had hit 48 as a career high then comes into camp at a muscle bound freak and then hits 75 or whatever it is the next 5 years to break the home run records then I have all the evidence I need. it may be hard for your pea size brain to understand but steroids build muscles which make you stronger which in turn help your natural ability to hit a a baseball farther than you did before you set records for home runs. fly balls that were once outs now carry over the fence. so it may not meet your scientific standard of evidence but it certainly meets the eye test which in this case is all that matters. a mans head does not swell up twice the size it was the year before because of a strong workout regimen. but keep your head buried in the sand if it makes you feel superior in some way to disregard the obvious..

• bjbeliever - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I love how your argument is a guy who hit 48 homers is not the type of hitter to be able to have a career year and break a record, lol, because lord knows 48 home runs is common

• badintent - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM

@metalhead65
        Please don’t waste time trying to explain to these deadheads anything, they’re socially inept and only taking a time out from pics of Kim’s videos to clean up the screen mess to blog here.
        I’m Mitt Romney and I approved this message. Have fun America, if you need me I’m in my penthouse on the Caymen Island.

4. Liam - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

They’re going to have to put an asterisk next to the record of all the mead halls he destroyed.

5. schlom - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Don’t they mean he tested positive for either excessive levels or artificial testosterone?

6. greymares - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

once again Headley to Philly they have 5 catchers

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

This isn’t happening. First, they don’t have any catchers good and cheap enough to make trading Headly worth while. Second, the guy didn’t die….he’ll be suspended 50 games. So what, you play whoever you’ve got lying around for 50 games….you don’t trade your best young player in response.

7. cambodianbreastmilk - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

FUCKKKKKKKK!

8. brucewaynewins - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I respect that he owned up to this rather than taking the route of so many other players.

This makes me like the Reds-Padres deal a little more now. (I’m a Reds fan and not a masochistic Padres fan)

9. jlilly67 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Sounds like a loser to me

10. johnnyb1976 - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Walt Jockety is a genius, he dumped this guy just at the right time.

11. Vindickative - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

The Padres’ last-place finish for the 2012 season should carry an asterisk.

• jdog4sho - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

You’re an idiot. Padres finished no where near last in their division or the National League. GTFO off this post donkey

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester