Nov 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
And with this, the Padres are in the market for a catcher:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Grandal was a rookie in 2012 and, after making a nice big splash with a home run streak after his callup, he missed a lot of time due to an oblique injury.
One wonders if he was so eager, now that he finally had a shot at a regular big league job, that he went a bridge too far in trying to come back from the injury. Or to compensate for lost power as a result of it.
UPDATE: Grandal has released a statement:
“I am responsible for what I put into my body. I must accept responsibility for my actions and serve my suspension.”
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)