Nov 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
And with this, the Padres are in the market for a catcher:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Grandal was a rookie in 2012 and, after making a nice big splash with a home run streak after his callup, he missed a lot of time due to an oblique injury.
One wonders if he was so eager, now that he finally had a shot at a regular big league job, that he went a bridge too far in trying to come back from the injury. Or to compensate for lost power as a result of it.
UPDATE: Grandal has released a statement:
“I am responsible for what I put into my body. I must accept responsibility for my actions and serve my suspension.”
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 21
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)