Nov 7, 2012, 8:48 PM EST
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald brings the knowledge:
The Arizona Diamondbacks are once again actively shopping outfielder Justin Upton, and despite the appearance of the Red Sox on Upton’s no-trade list, that would not prohibit a trade of the 25-year-old to Boston, according to a major-league source. Players frequently insert names of teams they are willing to play for, as in this case between Upton and the Red Sox, on their no-trade list for negotiating purposes in the event of a trade. The Dodgers were on Carl Crawford’s no-trade in August.
The bigger problem for the Red Sox is that they don’t have very many attractive trade chips and they’ll be battling for Upton this winter with teams — like the Rangers — that do. But let’s not rule out any club quite yet.
Upton grew up in Virginia and is known to have interest in returning full-time to the East Coast.
He batted .280/.355/.430 with 17 home runs, 18 stolen bases and 67 RBI in 150 games this past season.
UPDATE, 9:01 PM: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic was told by Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers that the Red Sox are not on Upton’s no-trade list. So that hurdle doesn’t need to be cleared.
UPDATE, 10:45 PM: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says the Red Sox are already out.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)