Nov 7, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald brings the knowledge:
The Arizona Diamondbacks are once again actively shopping outfielder Justin Upton, and despite the appearance of the Red Sox on Upton’s no-trade list, that would not prohibit a trade of the 25-year-old to Boston, according to a major-league source. Players frequently insert names of teams they are willing to play for, as in this case between Upton and the Red Sox, on their no-trade list for negotiating purposes in the event of a trade. The Dodgers were on Carl Crawford’s no-trade in August.
The bigger problem for the Red Sox is that they don’t have very many attractive trade chips and they’ll be battling for Upton this winter with teams — like the Rangers — that do. But let’s not rule out any club quite yet.
Upton grew up in Virginia and is known to have interest in returning full-time to the East Coast.
He batted .280/.355/.430 with 17 home runs, 18 stolen bases and 67 RBI in 150 games this past season.
UPDATE, 9:01 PM: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic was told by Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers that the Red Sox are not on Upton’s no-trade list. So that hurdle doesn’t need to be cleared.
UPDATE, 10:45 PM: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says the Red Sox are already out.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)