Sorry, dudes: Legal marijuana in Colorado and Washington does not mean Rockies and Mariners can smoke pot
Nov 7, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
One of the more interesting developments in yesterday’s election was Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana.
Maybe this is just, like, my opinion man, but given how poor the results of the war on drugs have been, this move should be applauded. And even if you’re not pro-pot in any way shape or form, it’s a great moment for the whole states-as-laboratories-of-democracy thing. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn’t. But no matter what happens, we’ll actually know more about the pros and cons of our nation’s drug laws in a few years as a result. As of now, we’re just flying blind. And kinda crashing, actually.
Of course it’s great for comedy too because, let’s face it, stoners are rather ridiculous in their own endearing way, and the jokes that arise from this sort of thing can be a lot of fun. Jokes like this one:
BREAKING: Tim Lincecum demands trade to Colorado Rockies
— Lee (@LeeLeeLeeLee) November 7, 2012
But you can save them as far as baseball is concerned. Because the legality of pot in Colorado and Washington will have no bearing on the Joint Drug Agreement:
MLB spokesman: No change to the league’s drug plan based on weed legalization in Colorado, Washington. Positive pot test still = 50 games.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 7, 2012
Which should not be surprising given how the performance enhancing drug rules work. Many PEDs are perfectly legal but banned by the league. And weed is going to stay the same way.
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)