Sorry, dudes: Legal marijuana in Colorado and Washington does not mean Rockies and Mariners can smoke pot
Nov 7, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
One of the more interesting developments in yesterday’s election was Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana.
Maybe this is just, like, my opinion man, but given how poor the results of the war on drugs have been, this move should be applauded. And even if you’re not pro-pot in any way shape or form, it’s a great moment for the whole states-as-laboratories-of-democracy thing. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn’t. But no matter what happens, we’ll actually know more about the pros and cons of our nation’s drug laws in a few years as a result. As of now, we’re just flying blind. And kinda crashing, actually.
Of course it’s great for comedy too because, let’s face it, stoners are rather ridiculous in their own endearing way, and the jokes that arise from this sort of thing can be a lot of fun. Jokes like this one:
BREAKING: Tim Lincecum demands trade to Colorado Rockies
— Lee (@LeeLeeLeeLee) November 7, 2012
But you can save them as far as baseball is concerned. Because the legality of pot in Colorado and Washington will have no bearing on the Joint Drug Agreement:
MLB spokesman: No change to the league’s drug plan based on weed legalization in Colorado, Washington. Positive pot test still = 50 games.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 7, 2012
Which should not be surprising given how the performance enhancing drug rules work. Many PEDs are perfectly legal but banned by the league. And weed is going to stay the same way.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 42
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 119
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (119)