Sorry, dudes: Legal marijuana in Colorado and Washington does not mean Rockies and Mariners can smoke pot
Nov 7, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
One of the more interesting developments in yesterday’s election was Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana.
Maybe this is just, like, my opinion man, but given how poor the results of the war on drugs have been, this move should be applauded. And even if you’re not pro-pot in any way shape or form, it’s a great moment for the whole states-as-laboratories-of-democracy thing. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn’t. But no matter what happens, we’ll actually know more about the pros and cons of our nation’s drug laws in a few years as a result. As of now, we’re just flying blind. And kinda crashing, actually.
Of course it’s great for comedy too because, let’s face it, stoners are rather ridiculous in their own endearing way, and the jokes that arise from this sort of thing can be a lot of fun. Jokes like this one:
BREAKING: Tim Lincecum demands trade to Colorado Rockies
— Lee (@LeeLeeLeeLee) November 7, 2012
But you can save them as far as baseball is concerned. Because the legality of pot in Colorado and Washington will have no bearing on the Joint Drug Agreement:
MLB spokesman: No change to the league’s drug plan based on weed legalization in Colorado, Washington. Positive pot test still = 50 games.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 7, 2012
Which should not be surprising given how the performance enhancing drug rules work. Many PEDs are perfectly legal but banned by the league. And weed is going to stay the same way.
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 0
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 10
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 107
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 99
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (107)