Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The G.M.s of all 30 teams and their various and sundry assistants have assembled in Indian Wells, California for the annual G.M. meetings. That’s in the Coachella Valley, which means that there will be a performance by a holographic Branch Rickey at some point.
At least I think that’s how it works.
No, actually how it works, based on recent years anyway, is that a lot of talking happens over the next couple of days but not much in the way of big deals get done. It’s more of a feeling out thing, laying the groundwork for deals as the winter wears on. What we will see, however, are a lot of interviews with G.M.s that may give us a sense of what direction they’re leaning on this or that player.
But mostly, nah, not likely to be any major stuff going down.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)