Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The G.M.s of all 30 teams and their various and sundry assistants have assembled in Indian Wells, California for the annual G.M. meetings. That’s in the Coachella Valley, which means that there will be a performance by a holographic Branch Rickey at some point.
At least I think that’s how it works.
No, actually how it works, based on recent years anyway, is that a lot of talking happens over the next couple of days but not much in the way of big deals get done. It’s more of a feeling out thing, laying the groundwork for deals as the winter wears on. What we will see, however, are a lot of interviews with G.M.s that may give us a sense of what direction they’re leaning on this or that player.
But mostly, nah, not likely to be any major stuff going down.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)