Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The G.M.s of all 30 teams and their various and sundry assistants have assembled in Indian Wells, California for the annual G.M. meetings. That’s in the Coachella Valley, which means that there will be a performance by a holographic Branch Rickey at some point.
At least I think that’s how it works.
No, actually how it works, based on recent years anyway, is that a lot of talking happens over the next couple of days but not much in the way of big deals get done. It’s more of a feeling out thing, laying the groundwork for deals as the winter wears on. What we will see, however, are a lot of interviews with G.M.s that may give us a sense of what direction they’re leaning on this or that player.
But mostly, nah, not likely to be any major stuff going down.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 24
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 24
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 38
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)