The Mets and Jason Bay reach an agreement to make him a free agent

Nov 7, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT

Wow, we weren’t expecting this:

Bay was under contract through 2013, for which the Mets were going to be on the hook for $16 million. He has to be taking a discount to be let out of the deal now, though, right?  Nope:

The deferment does help the Mets, but it’s not like they got any kind of a super bargain. They are saved a roster spot, however, and Terry Collins will not be able to do silly things like, say, put Jason Bay in the lineup.

This is not a common thing at all. Certainly speaks to a team who wanted out from under and a player who simply wanted out.  Kudos to the two sides working together to give each other what they want.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM

“Bay Era in Flushing is over”

I’m not sure it ever started.

• Caught Looking - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

So now the Bay Watch begins?

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Typo. Sherman meant “Bay Error.”

• dcfan4life - Nov 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Doesnt anyone give Bay at least a little slack for hitting in such a pitchers park. They do for Wright and yet no one does for Bay. Not saying he was worth his contract, but playing elsewhere i wouldn’t doubt he does much better.

2. stex52 - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Hardest thing in the world to do is recognize a sunk cost and deal with it. Good for the Mets. The money is gone. Don’t leave a discontented vet on the bench when you can go ahead and put a rookie with some potential in for 480 M$ or so.

3. Jon Weisman - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

On the surface this reminds me of the Dodgers and Andruw Jones parting ways.

4. kkolchak - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, your new cleanup hitter for the Long Island Ducks.

5. thebadguyswon - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Thank god.

6. sdelmonte - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Good for Sandy to find a way to do this.

Now all we need is some healthy outfielders.

• kkolchak - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

What did the hurricane have to do with this?

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

They are cleaning up all the waste in New York. This one was a doozy.

• sdelmonte - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Sandy Alderson. Who is probably among many people named Sandy who wish the storm had been named Samantha or Stuart or Siddhartha.

• Jeremy Fox - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Of course, there are also plenty of people named Samantha, Stuart, and Siddhartha too. Basically, when any hurricane hits, huge numbers of people must be subjected to obvious jokes, I guess? Just different people for every hurricane, since hurricanes all have different names?

• kkolchak - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

@sdelmonte – that was snark. :)

• sdelmonte - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Sorry. I can never be sure that everyone knows who is running my team.

I’m not sure my team knows who’s running my team.

7. blockedshotnyr - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

“Bay is getting all $21M he is owed, the $16M salary, the $3M buyout and the $2M left on a signing bonus. Some is being deferred #Mets”

I really hope this means deferred into the next few years and not Bobby Bonilla-type deferred where a few million turns into 50 million in 2054…

• ktourek - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dang blockedshot, you beat me to it!

8. ktourek - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Was Bobby Bonilla negotiating the terms of this deal?

9. nategearhart - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How much interest are they paying him?

10. vallewho - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

They should have kept him on as a bat-boy….no offense to bat-boys.

• patsandsox - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The Red Sox need a left fielder! Seriously though what happened to the Bay that played left for the Red Sox? He was darn goodd.

• bjbeliever - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM

*offence
      *bat boy
      *bat boys

C’mon man!

11. edelmanfanclub - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I still have my J Bay 44 jersey and I will wear it with pride if he signs back in Boston. Sadly I don’t forsee it.

12. bigzant82 - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

another wasted talent brought in

13. mpilatzke - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

The biggest thing here is the deferred money. To the best of my knowledge, the only other team to defer this kind of money in recent years was the Rangers to Arod. This just another sign of how badly the books are screwed up for the Wilpons. That means there’s still no money for other players, and they will continue to try to cut costs. Next thing you know, they’ll defer money to Santana. Wilpons need to sell the Mets in the worst way.

• chill1184 - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Maybe, maybe not but Santana still could have some value at the trading deadline. Bay unfortunately had no value

14. chill1184 - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I’m glad hes gone because he was just a black hole (with the few exceptions of some decent defense and the two grand slams that he hit against Detriot and Miami). As a person he wasn’t a bad guy just completely zapped of talent. I do hope he gets another chance before he has to hang it up.

Alderson did the right thing, he knew that having another year of an unproductive left field wasn’t unacceptable.

15. dondada10 - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I remember when the Mets signed Bay the biggest concern amongst fans was his defense. Wow, we were wrong.

On a serious note, though, Bay’s career, to me, will be remembered as having been derailed by concussions. He suffered two nasty ones early in the contract and was never able to put solid contact on the ball after that.

16. beast2727 - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Finally # holy shit

17. jjpileggi - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It is never a good idea to express sympathy for a guy who has made $64 million for 4 years, but let’s make an exception for Mr. Bay. He had awful luck from day one. And, he had the good sense to not gripe or complain when he was left out of the line up. Bay always played hard and hustled, and from all indications, was well liked by his teammates. Here is hoping that he hooks on with a contender where he has the opportunity to be productive again.

18. bjbeliever - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The NHLPA should hire Bay’s negotiator. How does this help the Mets? if you’re going to pay him anyways couldn’t you get the same roster spot by having him assigned to triple A?? If he plays well bring him up, if not, you’ve paid him and he’s done at the end of the year. I’m not understanding why the Mets agreed to pay him for no service, they are the new Marlins.

• chill1184 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Bay’s contract prevents him from being sent down and obviously you dont understand the concept of sunk cost. FYI the Marlins are in significantly worse shape than the Mets are.

• bjbeliever - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Well I suppose I should have checked if he was able to be sent down or not before making that comment. However I would like to be bitchy and point out that If you think it would still be a sunk cost if he WAS able to be sent up/called down (ie the context in which I made the comment), it would be you that does not understand the concept.

19. gregbeau - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

But think of all the meal money/per diems they will save next year!

20. kappy32 - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I’m glad that debacle is over. However, just like the Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla right now in deferred salary, I am sure we will hear about Bay’s deferred payments coming to pass around 2025. Jason Bay will haunt me as a Mets fan until I die.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS