Nov 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
He made $15 million in 2012. Heyman thinks the Yankees could ask him to take $10 million in 2013, possibly with incentives. Which doesn’t seem unreasonable given his age and the fact that he’s coming off an injury.
Also: Rivera probably doesn’t have a choice. Not a palatable one, anyway. This is sort of like when Derek Jeter was a free agent a couple of years ago. He may be worth somewhere between $10-15 million to the New York Yankees given his history there, the fan base and what he means to the team. But is a closer of his age — like a shortstop of Jeter’s — worth that to another team? And what does changing teams at this juncture in his career do for him? At the very least it’s an inconvenience. At most it’s a disruption of a legacy. At least to the extent he cares about such things.
It’s possible Rivera will be worth more than that, both the Yankees or to some other team. Indeed, if 2011 Rivera shows up again the Yankees will have a bargain. But as we sit here now, not knowing what the injury and the time off will do to Rivera’s cutter, the leverage here is definitely on the Yankees’ side.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (91)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)