Trevor Bauer “has fallen out of favor” with Diamondbacks, is available in trade talks

Nov 7, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT

Trevor Bauer Getty Getty Images

Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is apparently a very busy man right now.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this afternoon that Towers is once again “trying to trade” right fielder Justin Upton and now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says top prospect Trevor Bauer is also being shopped.

According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks “will also listen” to offers on Bauer because the 2011 third overall pick “has fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.”

Bauer made his big-league debut in June, struggled in four starts, and was sent back to Triple-A … where he remained for the remainder of the season. And then last month owner Ken Kendrick made comments during a radio interview about how the team was unhappy with Bauer, refusing to answer a simple “yes” when asked if he was a big part of the long-term plans.

Rarely does a team try to trade a 25-year-old talent like Upton or a 21-year-old talent like Bauer, let alone both in the same offseason. This must be a very weird time to be a Diamondbacks fan. On one hand you can start fantasizing about acquiring basically any player you want. On the other hand you better have an awful lot of faith in Towers.

1. malvord13 - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Knock knock knock….. Red sox you hear that? If not, that’s a big opportunity knocking at the door.

2. bdickey33 - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Is a package w/ Starlin Castro enough for the Cubs to get both?

• okobojicat - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

An imaginary conversation (as a Cubs fan)
      Set scene: Jed Hoyer surveys all that is beautiful, a mini fridge open under his desk with a half full bottle of coke. He sighs heavily.
      Hoyer: “Man I hate Novemeber”
      Epstein (pokes head in open doorway): HBT says Towers open to moving both Bauer and Upton. Call him
      Hoyer: Was it Gleeman or Craig. Because Craig’s rumors are usually…(trails off as Epstein wlaked away briskly and never heard any of the conversation)
      Hoyer: Hey Kevin, how’s the heat
      Towers: Make it quick kid. I got lots goin’s on today.
      Hoyer: Heard your listening to offers for Bauer and Upton. I just pulled up my top 10 prospect list according to BA. Who makes your heart beat faster?
      Towers: That’s not really an offer. Make me an offer
      Hoyer: Jackson, the toolsy OF and Baez, the extremely toolsy SS
      Towers: And
      Hoyer: Scrabble toolsy OF
      Towers: And
      Hoyer: McNutt our best pitching prospect
      Towers: you have no pitching prospects
      Hoyer: Butthurt silence
      Towers: And
      Hoyer: Maples, Vogelbach and Vitters.
      Towers: And
      Hoyer; And Soriano
      Towers: And
      Hoyer: and we’ll pay his salary. All of it.
      Towers: And
      Hoyer: And I’ll give your daughter a party deck at Wrigley next time you are in town.
      Towers: I don’t have a daughter
      Hoyer: Alright, I won’t tell your wife about that girl you were running around with at Wrigley last time
      Towers: Done
      Phone Clicks

• skerney - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

What the hell?

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Castro wouldn’t be the main piece a deal for ONE of them….much less both.

• Alex K - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I don’t know about that. You’re being a too harsh on Castro.

• Alex K - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Unless you’re only saying that because of salary.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM

He’s just not getting any better…and he generally doesn’t seem very driven. I’m not sure what is attractive. There should be all kinds of projection left at his age…but for 3 years, he was pretty much the same guy…no walks, a bit of power, regular bone headed plays…he just seems to get bored.

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:26 AM

He’s still only 22. He’ll play next season at 23. His defense is improving. And there is still a lot of ceiling with the bat. I looking at his batted ball data it’s not that much different than his past years other than BABIP. I think it’s too early to say he can’t be a top 20 player in MLB, which is the value he should return in a trade.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I know. That’s the point…from 20 to 22, he didn’t get any better…that is a time during which most players improve greatly, but he didn’t. Every player has a ceiling, some reach is earlier than others. Sure, there is still plenty of time for him to improve…but the last 2 years wouldn’t make on optimistic, would they?

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I’m still very optimistic about Castro. I don’t think it’s fair to expect a player to get better in a linear way. Castro provides value as is.

There were only 5 full time shortstops last year with a higher fWAR and Andrus was the only one that wasn’t more than 4 years older than Castro. He’s a limited quantity.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I understand. But that value (as estimated by fWAR) is barely better than for guys like Cozart. The Cardinals got nearly as much value out of the combo of Furcal/Kozma. I agree that I wouldn’t expect a player to improve in a linear fashion…the problem is that from 20-22, the increase typically would be steeper than for most other time frames. A one year hiccup is fine, it’s been 2 years….and he often seems disinterested. I just don’t know that he has much trade value because his contract probably represents fair value as it is…..then again, I suppose much of the same can be said for Upton.

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I don’t like the disinterested thing. It seems to imply that he is lazy, which I don’t think he is. I gave Matthew a lot of shit for making the same claim in his posts before Castro got his contract. I think it would be fair to say that he loses concentration some times, but disinterested is too pejorative, for me.

The argument that his (very fair) contract hurts his trade value is 100% reasonable and I tend to agree with it. But I took your statement to mean that his play makes him unable to be the centerpiece for a trade for either, which I think is totally untrue. He’s already a good player at a key defensive position and he’s only 22. I think he’s going to get better.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

That is exactly what I meant by disinterested (I spend much of my days writing and reading scientific literature…I use words to mean exactly what they mean). I don’t think he’s lazy at all. Sometimes he just looks bored or unfocused which manifests as the lack of concentration and the occasional boneheaded play…like he just wasn’t paying attention at all.

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Also, isn’t it in the HBT unwritten rule book that conversations that go on to the next day have to have some type of insult? I hope neither of us get beaned for having a civil discussion…

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Cubs suck and so do their fans….bunch of brat munching Old Style drinking morons. (just trying to be careful).

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Fair enough. Usually when people use the word disinterested they are calling a guy lazy.

And Cards fans are awful. They are all more concerned with if the Cubs lose than if the Cards win. Most of them wouldn’t know good baseball if it punched them in the face. Best fans in baseball, my ass. (Good idea on being careful)

3. geoknows - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Interesting how, before they drafted Bauer, the D-Backs in their talks with him had frank discussions about his training, his pre-game routines, and his pitching philosophy. They came out of those talks enthusiastic and supportive of all things Bauer. And now he’s fallen out of favor for doing the exact things he told them he would do? For the life of me, I can’t figure out what Kevin Towers is thinking these days.

4. illcomm - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

cliff lee for both. done.

• cosanostra71 - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

lol

• illadelphiasphinest - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Id do it in a heartbeat, but just Lee isnt enough. Maybe a package of Lee, Brown, or Ruf, n one of our top pitching prospects not named Biddle.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM

…if the Phils also paid all of Lees salary, you might be getting close. Brown and Ruf really don’t have much value.

• protius - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Phil Hughes for both. Done.

• Caught Looking - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You have a better chance of trading a Clifff Bar for both.

5. husky2score - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Um does anybody hear “bust”? I don’t know why, but this is all I heard from this. I’m not calling it, but why else would the D-Backs want to trade such a prospect?

• Caught Looking - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

He’s high maintenance.

6. echech88 - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Not a Rays fan but it would appear they could match up well

• geoknows - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

How? Rays need bats, not pitching. I guess you could say they have never been reluctant to take on more pitching when they trade pitching away, though (see the Garza trade, where the acquired Archer).

7. Al - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson for Upton and Bauer!

• geoknows - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

You’d better add Francisco Lindor.

• Kevin Gillman - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

How about Rony Paulino, and not Lindor, we’ll also add T.J. House to that list too.

• Caught Looking - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Even Ned Coletti doesn’t make that deal.

• djpostl - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Speaks volumes lol

• fantasymoney - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Heck, since you’re being so generous….why not splurge and throw in a “game used”, but basically brand new, Grady Sizemore jersey?

8. weaselpuppy - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Mr Illitch goes all in.

Avisail Garcia, Bruce Rondon, Hernan Perez and Rick Porcello.

• cmutimmah - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I would even go Castellanos, Porcello, Perez, Smyly. I think they like Garcia and Garcia’s connection with Miggy. AND I doubt Garcia’s showing in the playoffs really helped his stock a ton.

If anyone says that’s too much or your depleting the cupboard, remeber that we are only a couple pieces away, we aren’t trading for aging talent here, and we would get the LF we need and the 5th starter we want. If we signed Sanchez our team would be ridiculous.

Castellanos is blocked at 3rd, and learning to play OF…. Upton is what we HOPE Castellanos can be, with less speed.

lineup:
      Jackson
      Dirks/Infante (RHP/LHP)
      Miggy
      Fielder
      Upton
      VMart
      Peralta
      Avila
      Dirks/Infante (RHP/LHP)

rotation:
      Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Bauer

Pretty damn I’d say having that is worth trading Castellanos n Co.

9. cosanostra71 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I’ll offer my team’s overpaid aging former star and a marginal prospect. Done.

10. Tick - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Billy Beane is licking his chops right now.

11. djjackson81 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Masterson and Cabrera woul be good for Az need, SS and 2 or 3 starter

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)