Nov 7, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is apparently a very busy man right now.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this afternoon that Towers is once again “trying to trade” right fielder Justin Upton and now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says top prospect Trevor Bauer is also being shopped.
According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks “will also listen” to offers on Bauer because the 2011 third overall pick “has fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.”
Bauer made his big-league debut in June, struggled in four starts, and was sent back to Triple-A … where he remained for the remainder of the season. And then last month owner Ken Kendrick made comments during a radio interview about how the team was unhappy with Bauer, refusing to answer a simple “yes” when asked if he was a big part of the long-term plans.
Rarely does a team try to trade a 25-year-old talent like Upton or a 21-year-old talent like Bauer, let alone both in the same offseason. This must be a very weird time to be a Diamondbacks fan. On one hand you can start fantasizing about acquiring basically any player you want. On the other hand you better have an awful lot of faith in Towers.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)