Nov 7, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is apparently a very busy man right now.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this afternoon that Towers is once again “trying to trade” right fielder Justin Upton and now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says top prospect Trevor Bauer is also being shopped.
According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks “will also listen” to offers on Bauer because the 2011 third overall pick “has fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.”
Bauer made his big-league debut in June, struggled in four starts, and was sent back to Triple-A … where he remained for the remainder of the season. And then last month owner Ken Kendrick made comments during a radio interview about how the team was unhappy with Bauer, refusing to answer a simple “yes” when asked if he was a big part of the long-term plans.
Rarely does a team try to trade a 25-year-old talent like Upton or a 21-year-old talent like Bauer, let alone both in the same offseason. This must be a very weird time to be a Diamondbacks fan. On one hand you can start fantasizing about acquiring basically any player you want. On the other hand you better have an awful lot of faith in Towers.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)