Nov 7, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is apparently a very busy man right now.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this afternoon that Towers is once again “trying to trade” right fielder Justin Upton and now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says top prospect Trevor Bauer is also being shopped.
According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks “will also listen” to offers on Bauer because the 2011 third overall pick “has fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.”
Bauer made his big-league debut in June, struggled in four starts, and was sent back to Triple-A … where he remained for the remainder of the season. And then last month owner Ken Kendrick made comments during a radio interview about how the team was unhappy with Bauer, refusing to answer a simple “yes” when asked if he was a big part of the long-term plans.
Rarely does a team try to trade a 25-year-old talent like Upton or a 21-year-old talent like Bauer, let alone both in the same offseason. This must be a very weird time to be a Diamondbacks fan. On one hand you can start fantasizing about acquiring basically any player you want. On the other hand you better have an awful lot of faith in Towers.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)