Nov 7, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers is apparently a very busy man right now.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this afternoon that Towers is once again “trying to trade” right fielder Justin Upton and now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says top prospect Trevor Bauer is also being shopped.
According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks “will also listen” to offers on Bauer because the 2011 third overall pick “has fallen out of favor with some people in the organization.”
Bauer made his big-league debut in June, struggled in four starts, and was sent back to Triple-A … where he remained for the remainder of the season. And then last month owner Ken Kendrick made comments during a radio interview about how the team was unhappy with Bauer, refusing to answer a simple “yes” when asked if he was a big part of the long-term plans.
Rarely does a team try to trade a 25-year-old talent like Upton or a 21-year-old talent like Bauer, let alone both in the same offseason. This must be a very weird time to be a Diamondbacks fan. On one hand you can start fantasizing about acquiring basically any player you want. On the other hand you better have an awful lot of faith in Towers.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 16
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 16
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 25
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)