Nov 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
It may not happen for the 2013 season because the deal is not yet done, but the park formerly known as New Comiskey may be Sprint Field or something like it in time for 2014. Why? Because U.S. Cellular is selling some of its business units to Sprint/Nextel, and exiting the Chicago market:
There has been no word yet from U.S. Cellular or Sprint/Nextel on the future of the name of the stadium, but sources in the telecom industry told me this morning that they expect to see some or all of the U.S. Cellular phone stores gone from the market and a major push to further establish the Sprint/Nextel name in the Chicago area.
Also in the article, talk about why the Cubs don’t sell the naming rights for Wrigley Field. Which, though it would risk pissing off basically everyone with taste and good sense, would probably give the Ricketts family $15 million a year. Which is an INSANE amount of money compared to other naming rights deals, so take it with a grain of salt.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
The Braves are calling him day-to-day, but these type of injuries are notoriously tricky.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Clayton Richard tossed six innings of one-run ball in a win over the Padres on Sunday, but he was designated for assignment by the Cubs today for the second time in the past two weeks.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
Matz impressed over his first two starts in the majors before going down with a partial tear of his lat muscle, but he’s starting to ramp things up in preparation for his return.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:32 PM EDT
Kipnis is expected to miss two to three weeks.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Cubs rookie third baseman Kris Bryant was forced to exit Sunday’s game against the Brewers after feeling dizzy on a hard slide into second base, but he’s back in the starting lineup for tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Capps has quietly been one of the game’s most dominant relievers this season.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
Out since late May with a neck injury.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:14 PM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
He is now calling Jose Bautista “a good man and a great human being.”
Aug 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
The newest Blue Jay struck out 11 in eight innings of work.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Panik’s breakout season has been put on hold.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Dating back to 2013 he’s hit .337 with a .900 OPS off lefties.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
Power-hitting third baseman/first baseman.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
It’s not necessarily likely, but since it isn’t a torn UCL there’s at least a chance he could make it back.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
He’s spent this season at Triple-A, batting .260 with 13 homers and 11 steals.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Time for a little Loria bashing to brighten up your Monday.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Not a bad draw for him, as he has owned the Twins this season.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Viciedo is still just 26 years old.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Using your closer in the seventh or eighth inning may be a good idea, but Mike Matheny says that it’s not that simple.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 draft
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)