Nov 8, 2012, 7:42 PM EST
UPDATE: Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs were among the teams who submitted a bid. The Hanwha Eagles have four business days to decide whether they are going to accept the highest bid.
7:42 PM: We learned early last week that the Hanwha Eagles of the Korea Baseball Organization were planning to post left-hander Ryu Hyun-Jin for MLB teams. We may soon find out who had the winning bid.
The Eagles have the right to accept or decline the bid, as Hyun-Jin can’t leave Korea as an outright free agent until 2014. If they accept, Hyun-Jin will have the opportunity to negotiate a contract with the winning team. He has already hired Scott Boras to represent him, which puts an interesting wrinkle in the proceedings. Assuming a contract is eventually worked out, the Eagles will then receive the posting fee.
Hyun-Jin, 25, has been one of the best starters in KBO since winning the Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season as a teenager. He’s not a hard-thrower, mostly sitting in the high-80s to low-90s (pitch data courtesy of MyKBO.net), but his changeup is considered a quality pitch.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)