Nov 8, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said tonight that Johnson’s contract should be finalized “anytime now.”
3:53 PM: Whatever hangups there were in contract negotiations between manager Davey Johnson and the Nationals have apparently been just about settled, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the two sides are “real close” to an agreement.
According to Kilgore a new deal is expected to be announced at some point today, although no word yet on how long the contract will run and how much of a raise Johnson will get.
Johnson is technically still under contract to the Nationals as a “special advisor” to the front office, but as a manager he’s a free agent. Or at least a quasi-free agent, and the longer that’s been the case the more speculation there’s been that general manager Mike Rizzo was balking at Johnson’s demands.
In the meantime Johnson has been busy winning fishing tournaments.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 0
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)