Nov 8, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said tonight that Johnson’s contract should be finalized “anytime now.”
3:53 PM: Whatever hangups there were in contract negotiations between manager Davey Johnson and the Nationals have apparently been just about settled, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the two sides are “real close” to an agreement.
According to Kilgore a new deal is expected to be announced at some point today, although no word yet on how long the contract will run and how much of a raise Johnson will get.
Johnson is technically still under contract to the Nationals as a “special advisor” to the front office, but as a manager he’s a free agent. Or at least a quasi-free agent, and the longer that’s been the case the more speculation there’s been that general manager Mike Rizzo was balking at Johnson’s demands.
In the meantime Johnson has been busy winning fishing tournaments.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)