Nov 8, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said tonight that Johnson’s contract should be finalized “anytime now.”
3:53 PM: Whatever hangups there were in contract negotiations between manager Davey Johnson and the Nationals have apparently been just about settled, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the two sides are “real close” to an agreement.
According to Kilgore a new deal is expected to be announced at some point today, although no word yet on how long the contract will run and how much of a raise Johnson will get.
Johnson is technically still under contract to the Nationals as a “special advisor” to the front office, but as a manager he’s a free agent. Or at least a quasi-free agent, and the longer that’s been the case the more speculation there’s been that general manager Mike Rizzo was balking at Johnson’s demands.
In the meantime Johnson has been busy winning fishing tournaments.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)