Nov 8, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said tonight that Johnson’s contract should be finalized “anytime now.”
3:53 PM: Whatever hangups there were in contract negotiations between manager Davey Johnson and the Nationals have apparently been just about settled, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the two sides are “real close” to an agreement.
According to Kilgore a new deal is expected to be announced at some point today, although no word yet on how long the contract will run and how much of a raise Johnson will get.
Johnson is technically still under contract to the Nationals as a “special advisor” to the front office, but as a manager he’s a free agent. Or at least a quasi-free agent, and the longer that’s been the case the more speculation there’s been that general manager Mike Rizzo was balking at Johnson’s demands.
In the meantime Johnson has been busy winning fishing tournaments.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 1
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)