In an ideal world, A.J. Pierzynski would like to play for the Braves

Nov 8, 2012, 10:31 AM EST

Barrett Pierzynski Getty Getty Images

As a Braves fan, I’m not sure how I feel about this. From Dan Hayes at CSNChicago.com on free agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski:

“In a perfect situation, if there were no other deciding factors (money, another catcher), my ideal situation would be to play for the Braves,” Pierzynski said. “I grew up a Braves fan. That would be ideal, but with Brian McCann I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

I appreciate Pierzynski’s merits as a player and I think he probably gets way too much crap thrown at him for his attitude and character and stuff than is deserved. He’s had some incidents, but his teammates have almost always had his back which makes me think the “Pierzynski is a jerk” stuff is way overblown. But it also has never occurred to me that he and I would have similar rooting interests. I just … don’t know, man.

Guess it’s not that bad though. Especially when compared to the non-trivial possibility that Shane Victorino could actually be patrolling center field for Atlanta next year.

1. nickmiller63 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

My own view is a bit blinkered, since I’m a Giants fan, but I don’t think his teammates had his back during his year by the bay. Quite the contrary.

2. cur68 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

What the Braves should do is hire AJ & Michael Barrett, too. This way when AJ needs a biff in the kisser someone’s standing by. That’s my favourite pic of AJ, by the way. You can’t run that one enough.

3. tashkalucy - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Love AJ.

He’s a dirty, crazy player…..unless he’s on your team…..then he’s a hard-nosed leader that wants to win.

• xmatt0926x - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

But don’t his teammates hate him too? I have no idea. Maybe I’m thinking of someone else but I thought I read that he was a jerk to his teammates too sometimes, giving them the Kobe Bryant “you aren’t qualified to speak to me” treatment?

4. 2dmo4 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ill take him in detroit. Me along with many other tiger fans are over avila.

5. mrwillie - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Yeah? And in my ideal world I’d have a winter Chateau on top of a Colorado mountain and be the CEO of a beer company….but all those spots are full, kinda like the Braves catcher position.

6. stex52 - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I kind of figured that AJ would say in an ideal world he would be mugging old ladies and taking their purses.

• historiophiliac - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Is that a Phillies slam?

7. sportsdrenched - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

AJP strikes me as a guy who if he’s on your team…you’re glad he’s there. But if you’re an opponent you hate his guts. He’s like MLB’s version of a bruiser in Hockey, or Courtland Finnigan in the NFL. His skills are marginal but he brings value in getting in the other teams head.

That’s why I’ve always like him despite his bad wrap.

• historiophiliac - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I bet a Pierzynski wrap has salami.

8. xmatt0926x - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Don’t be worried about Victorino, Craig. He had a really bad year while likely pressing for his free agent deal. Unless he has actually fallen totally off a cliff for good then he’ll give you good value in center at a lot less money and years than Bourn.

9. nickmiller63 - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

His teammates didn’t like him on the Giants. He also is said to have kneed the trainer (the esteemed Stan Conte at the time) in the groin for unspecified reasons.

10. indaburg - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I don’t think his bad rap is undeserved. This isn’t a Bryce Harper media generated reputation. He regularly tops player polls for douchebaggery and most of us who watch baseball regularly have witnessed it first hand. Yes, he’s a fierce competitor, but you can be very competitive without being a dick about it. That said, if he was on my team, of course I would root for him (but I would feel very dirty about it).

• stex52 - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You might be surprised, Indaburg. I couldn’t ever bring myself to root much for Jeff Kent. There are limits.

• indaburg - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I sold my soul in 2012 rooting for Luke Scott and he’s the devil incarnate to a bleeding heart tree hugging liberal weenie like me. I hang my head in shame.

11. muckthefets - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I surprised no one pointed out how awesome that picture is!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (3869)