Marlins hire Tino Martinez as hitting coach

Nov 8, 2012, 6:17 PM EST

Tino Martinez Getty Getty Images

So much for the Red Sox having interest in Tino Martinez as their hitting coach.

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Martinez has been hired as the hitting coach with the Marlins. He’ll join the staff of Mike Redmond, who was named manager last week.

Martinez has never coached professionally, but was a special assistant with the Yankees and has served as an instructor with the club during spring training. The Tampa native was most recently an analyst with YES Network.

Martinez played 16 seasons in the major leagues, compiling a .271/.344/.471 batting line to go along with 1,925 hits and 339 homers while making stops with the Mariners, Yankees, Cardinals and Rays.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Very soon, we will probably hear that the Red Sox are now considering Jason Giambi as their batting coach. They might also become linked to Jose Canseco.

• mirmz - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Canseco has been begging for a hitting coach job for the last week on Twitter… he’s also looking for a CPA, “pro bono”

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Now we are on to something. “Unconfirmed internet reports indicate that Jose Canseco is the latest candidate for the hitting coach position with the Red Sox.”

• badintent - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

But do you get Jose……………. or his brother as a substitute ?

2. randygnyc - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Tino’s people probably floated the Red Sox rumor to ignite the marlins. I’m happy he’s working.

3. Old Gator - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Wow, the Feesh have hired a heeting coach who could actually heet. What’s next – an actual third baseman to play third base? Hard to imagine….

• blacksables - Nov 9, 2012 at 3:37 AM

It’s amazing. The Frito Bandito was banned as a negative cultural stereotype in the ’80s. You can’t find ‘The Cisco Kid’ on television anymore because of the same issue.

The fact that you continue this racist shtick on a daily basis, and are not only allowed but encouraged, just boggles the mind.

People who say less offensive things than you get called out everyday by the liberal majority here, yet because you spout your liberal opinion at all times, you are allowed to foster these negative cultural stereotypes and make offensive comments whenever you want and get away with it.

You’re no different than Luke Scott. Or no better, depending on how you want to classify it.

Grow up, old man. The world has moved on.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM

When folks down here stop sounding like that, I’ll stop having fun sounding like them. Let me take you for a stroll down Calle Ocho some day – bring your leetle deegital recorder – we’ll buy some croquetas and slurp a cordaita or two (unless, of course, you think eating that stuff would perpetuate the cultural stereotypes of those who cooked it) and you can record random examples of regular folk conversing. Then, you can go home and transcribe their conversations in the Keeng’s Eenglish and compare it to what you can hear. Oy! Deesjunction!

Now pardon me – I have to go rewrite As I Lay Dying to make sure that none of the Bundrens or Snopeses sound like white trash.

PS: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+cisco+kid&sprefix=The+Cisco+%2Caps%2C365

• blacksables - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I guess then you’re perfectly fine with the teaching of Ebonic in inner-city schools? I guess you’re also fine with those icons still being shown on television?

The point is, you don’t speak like that. And neither do I. And to do it in this forum, or any other, is an intenional and deliberate act. It is also racist and culturally insensitive.

I’ve seen you call out out others here for their poor use of grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. How do you justify then mocking others because of the way they speak?

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I like the way you compulsively think in Faux News thought-packages, oblivious to the realities on the ground. I am playful about the local Espanglish – as, by the way, local Espanglish-speakers and hispanics down here tend to be themselves – so therefore I must also toe all the rest of what you witlessly accept as the “liberal” line. Ebonics? It’s garbage – and, as a sociopolitical issue – knock! Knock! – it’s been dead for most of the past decade. No one in any position of responsibility seriously proposes, nor has proposed, that it be “taught in inner city schools” for yonks. Icons? Like what – Charley Tuna and the Desitin cod? Let’s not over-generalize too much, now. How does the idea of a gay conservative appeal to you? An anti-abortion “liberal”? A pro-Israel Arab? Guess what, O brain-locked one: such nonconformities actually exist.

Anyway, I’m not a “liberal” – I’m a socialist (which you probably can’t or wouldn’t bother to distinguish from “communist,” or even from a liberal, despite the (now hear this!) profound differences between them. But hey, if you can standardize ideological content so blithely, why can’t I ?).

Luke Scott? Talk about oranges and apples. Scott’s “birther” nonsense is just quotidian cracker-stupid, and if he never recovers from his athletic injuries I see a fine career ahead of him as Donald Trump’s caddy. I’m not aware of him having said anything overtly racist – I might have missed something, but then I don’t generally pay much attention to idiots unless I see something of comic value in it. Scott was funny once and has been boring since.

People are not nearly as simplistic and packageable as you would like them to be. Final point. I love my community, in all of its diversity, and in its foibles as well as in its glory. Ifr you can’t sense the affection behind my “mocking,” it’s only because your head is stuck so far up your own stereotyping ass.

4. thurmanmantle - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Nice gig for Tino.

• Old Gator - Nov 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Yes, under Obamacare his psychiatric counselling will be covered after a year of working for Teflon Larry, the Chihuahua and Scrooge McLoria.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sure Gator. Unless of course he is deemed “to old” for said counseling. Sorry…I couldn’t resist.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester