Mike Adams says Josh Hamilton “is a different guy sometimes”

Nov 8, 2012, 11:51 AM EST

Josh Hamilton AP AP

After spending one-and-a-half seasons in Texas reliever Mike Adams is not expected to re-sign with the Rangers as a free agent, but on his way out the door he had some interesting comments about Josh Hamilton.

During an MLB Network Radio interview, Adams said of his fellow free agent:

Josh is a special talent and sometimes you have to let Josh figure it out himself. He’s a different guy sometimes. Every day you hope that Josh comes to the ballpark, shows up and plays like Josh Hamilton. Sometimes he shows up and you don’t know which Josh is going to show up at the ballpark. It’s nothing to be negative about toward Josh; that’s just the way it is. That’s what you get with Josh.

When asked if he thought the Rangers should re-sign Hamilton he called it “a difficult question to answer” but did make it clear that he’d want Hamilton as a teammate “because I know what he’s capable of doing.”

1. beefytrout - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Obvious statement is obvious. Some days JH will hit multiple HR’s, and others he will make 5 outs on 8 pitches and never get the ball out of the infield.

2. stex52 - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t know. It’s an odd statement to make. It makes me think he is describing more of an attitude or an emotional state. But that’s just a guess.

• xmatt0926x - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Agreed. I don’t think he was talking about Josh hitting homeruns or anything like that. He was obviously speaking about his mental state and that isn’t shocking at all. People always assume that a players addictions are just a result of a need to have fun or party all the time. He may have always had some type of underlying issue that made him want to self-medicate for years. Obviously, none of us know the truth but it happens all the time. Just off the top of my head I cant picture a few people I know who use drugs and alcohol on a daily basis. They all have social anxiety and depression issues that become evident when they aren’t doped up. The bottom line to me is that this guy seems like such a risk physically and mentally that I can’t believe someone would give him anywhere close to the dollars and years he wants. Nolan Ryan sure seems to be handing him his hat on the way out.

• xmatt0926x - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

***EDIT- Damn it!!! Meant to say “off the top of my head I CAN picture a few people I know who use drugs and alcohol on a daily basis”.

• beefytrout - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh, I agree completely that he was referring to the attitude/emotional state of JH. But that’s the thing with JH – when he’s in the “right frame of mind,” there is no hitter more dangerous. But when he’s struggling, be it from personal issues (like trying to quit chew) or being frustrated from a bad couple of games, then anything low and inside will have him swinging away like a damn fool.

3. mrbullgator - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hey ChiChi….Get the yayo MAN!

4. modellforprez - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

yeah adams that’s presumably what crack sluts and drank will do to you man shhh smartin up

5. kneedeepinpujols - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My theory on this is that he just wanted to say “Josh” as many times as possible in a single interview

6. cshearing - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Maybe Josh has an undiagnosed mental illness? Years of self-medicating, followed by rehab that involved “submitting his will to god”… it may have never been uncovered. Obviously pure and utter speculation on my part.

• awesomenar - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

He sure does display many classic symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. I’m not a doctor, but I do have extensive experience with close family members dealing with the same.

7. thebadguyswon - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

“It’s not to be negative”

and then he’s negative. Texas can’t shove him out the door hard enough. Expect Justin Upton in Arlington within a month.

8. miketreedy - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I heard the interview on Dallas radio. He wasn’t trying to criticize Hamilton purposely but when he realized that’s what it was sounding like you could hear in his voice he was getting nervous and tried walking his comments back big time.

One point he made is that he thought Josh had so much believe in himself that he felt he could hit anything thrown so he would just swing. He lost patience on waiting for the best pitch. He also complemented him though as being a good teammate.

9. billymc75 - Nov 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Someone please listen to the audio it’s being pulled way put of context he’s us no way bad mouthing Hamilton

10. lorddarkhelmet - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

agreed, i have thought for a while there may be a bi-polar type issue there helping cause the self medication, etc.

11. djjackson81 - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

JH issues are age and consistency that why asking 175 million for all those years is crazy

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester