Nov 8, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
Those free agents who received one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offers last week must decide by 5 p.m. ET tomorrow whether to accept them. David Ortiz finalized a two-year, $26 million extension with the Red Sox earlier this week, so that leaves eight players with a decision to make: Josh Hamilton, Rafael Soriano, Nick Swisher, Hiroki Kuroda, B.J. Upton, Kyle Lohse, Michael Bourn and Adam LaRoche.
Most believe that all eight will decline the qualifying offers, but we’ll keep track of them anyway.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Soriano intends to reject the qualifying offer from the Yankees. Mariano Rivera plans to return next season, so Soriano is expected to attempt to find a closer job on the open market. The Yankees will receive draft pick compensation if he signs with another club.
Another no-brainer, Scott Boras told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Bourn will decline the qualifying offer from the Braves. The 29-year-old speedster is coming off a career year and should do very well as one of the top position players available this offseason.
Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Swisher will reject the qualifying offer from the Yankees. He also hears that five teams have interest in Swisher, including the Rangers and Mariners. The Yankees made the qualifying offer hoping that he would reject and sign elsewhere, ensuring them a draft pick as a result, so it appears they will get their wish.
Finally, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times hears that B.J. Upton is set to decline his qualifying offer from the Rays. An easy call, as he should land a long-term deal in free agency this winter. The Rays will get a compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere. Interestingly, the Rays have been mentioned as a possible trade partner with the Diamondbacks for B.J.’s brother, Justin Upton.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Holy moly, these guys are awful.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:29 AM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez hit two homers for the second straight night.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:04 PM EDT
Bryce Harper didn’t have an official at-bat tonight, but he still made a major impact in the Nationals’ 15-1 blowout victory over the Braves.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Stroman threw 4 2/3 hitless innings in his first minor league rehab start.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias was forced to exit Thursday’s game against the Royals in the third inning when he was hit in the hand while trying to drop down a bunt.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:50 PM EDT
The Dodgers called up top prospect Corey Seager today and manager Don Mattingly isn’t wasting any time getting him into the starting lineup…
Sep 3, 2015, 8:46 PM EDT
Murphy had a stint on the disabled list earlier this season due to a left quad strain.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Strasburg left his most recent start on Sunday with discomfort in his upper back, but he’s on track to make his return for a crucial series against the Mets next week.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
McCutchen feels “a little sore” and has been “hobbling around a little bit,” so he’ll take a rest before a big series against the Cardinals this weekend.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
ESPN has pulled Schilling from their broadcasts for the remainder of the season.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Sentiments like these — of which I’ve seen a few — makes me wonder about Ruben Amaro.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
His glute injury proved minor.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
He was suffering from dehydration yesterday.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Finally, Tom Brady and Boston sports fans get a win!
Sep 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Shut down for the season with a hip injury.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
This is must-click link material.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Kevin Jepsen will fill in at closer.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT
Not that either of those things are valid reasons to keep a guy out of the Hall of Fame.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Considered by many to be the No. 1 prospect in baseball.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
But teams should be coming to him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (118)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)