Nov 8, 2012, 8:18 PM EST
With Justin Upton circulating in trade rumors once again, many have speculated that the Rangers could be a perfect fit. We’re still in the early days of the Hot Stove, so things could change in a hurry, but a deal appears unlikely right now.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Rangers aren’t willing to include Elvis Andrus or top prospect Jurickson Profar in a swap for Upton. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported this morning that the Diamondbacks don’t love Mike Olt as a centerpiece of a deal and would prefer Andrus or Profar, so unless somebody eventually blinks, the two clubs won’t be a match.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic caught up with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers tonight, who said that he’s in “no rush” to make a deal and doesn’t expect to make a trade for a frontline starting pitcher, “even in an Upton deal.” This would seem to indicate that he’s targeting a third baseman or shortstop.
Upton, 25, is set to earn $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014, and $14.5 million in 2015. Andrus, 24, will earn $4.8 million next season and $6.475 million in 2014 before hitting free agency.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)