Nov 8, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
With Justin Upton circulating in trade rumors once again, many have speculated that the Rangers could be a perfect fit. We’re still in the early days of the Hot Stove, so things could change in a hurry, but a deal appears unlikely right now.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Rangers aren’t willing to include Elvis Andrus or top prospect Jurickson Profar in a swap for Upton. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported this morning that the Diamondbacks don’t love Mike Olt as a centerpiece of a deal and would prefer Andrus or Profar, so unless somebody eventually blinks, the two clubs won’t be a match.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic caught up with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers tonight, who said that he’s in “no rush” to make a deal and doesn’t expect to make a trade for a frontline starting pitcher, “even in an Upton deal.” This would seem to indicate that he’s targeting a third baseman or shortstop.
Upton, 25, is set to earn $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014, and $14.5 million in 2015. Andrus, 24, will earn $4.8 million next season and $6.475 million in 2014 before hitting free agency.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)