Nov 8, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Giambi has said previously that he’d like to continue playing if he didn’t land the manager gig, but today general manager Dan O’Dowd told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the Rockies are hoping Giambi will consider becoming their hitting coach.
“We consider him a Rockie, we hope this is the spot he will consider,” O’Dowd said. “He was very impressive in his interview for the manager’s job.”
Renck indicates that the Rockies would want Giambi to retire as a player if he accepted the hitting coach job and they’re unlikely to be interested in re-signing him strictly as a player. So, basically, if he wants to keep playing it would have to come elsewhere, but if he’s ready to retire the Rockies have an immediate spot on the coaching staff waiting for him.
Giambi going from first baseman to hitting coach while working under a first-time manager with no professional coaching experience who was coaching a high school team when the Rockies called him sure would be interesting. For at least one year, anyway.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
His inexplicably bad 2015 is now somewhat exsplicable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s hit just .233 with a .640 OPS through 166 career games.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Maybin is hitting .294/.363.416 with seven homers, 39 RBI and 15 steals.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
A Bill Heywood must be allowed to speak his mind.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
In-game interviews are usually dumb. But last night one was at least funny.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Werth has been out with a fractured wrist since being hit by pitch on May 15.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
They don’t like it. He doesn’t care. He’s right not to.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
And it flutters differently every time.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
What a world we live in these days.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:03 AM EDT
Justin Verlander, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Jake Marisnick isn’t afraid of the Green Monster.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Hisashi Iwakuma will be activated on Monday. He hasn’t started since April 20.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Braves designated a pair of veteran relievers for assignment following Sunday’s loss to the Phillies.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
The pitching-thin Dodgers will call on Eric Surkamp to start on Monday, it appears.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
Find out who made the starting rosters for the AL and NL squads in the 2015 All-Star Game. Spoiler: no Omar Infante.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pirates added some depth, claiming Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Giants on Sunday.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Marcell Ozuna has slumped badly over his last 10 games and will try to figure things out at Triple-A.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Newsday’s David Lennon details how the Mets were close to trading for Manny Ramirez back in 2005.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Strasburg suffered the oblique strain Saturday in his start against the Giants. He had thrown 3 2/3 scoreless innings in that outing and was also sharp in his previous two starts since returning from a trapezius injury.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
It looks, at first glance, like another smart rebuilding move for the determined-to-rebuild Phils.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)