Nov 8, 2012, 7:14 AM EDT
The Cubs and Angels had a Dan Haren-for-Carlos Marmol trade all but done. It feel through, however, with many speculating that it was due to issues surrounding Marmol’s no-trade clause or cold feet by one side or something. Many others, however, believe that it fell through because of Haren’s health. David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com has a source telling him that, yes, that’s what happened:
. . . a long-time AL source who has watched Haren over the past several seasons confirmed to me that medical questions were the main reason the trade fell apart, with the Cubs having serious concerns over Haren’s back stiffness that sidelined him for a part of the 2012 season. Also, hip issues and a noticeable drop in his velocity that forced him to pitch differently than when he was a dominant power pitcher.
Haren’s agent yesterday said that Haren is healthy, but those are the words of a guy shopping his free agent client’s services. He did not refute the notion that Haren’s health was the reason the Cubs backed out (and that the Angels declined Haren’s option).
He’ll be an interesting guy to watch on the free agent market this winter. Just know that when you hear that Haren is close to signing with someone, that last step — the medical exam — is nowhere near the formality it is for most free agents.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)