Nov 8, 2012, 7:14 AM EDT
The Cubs and Angels had a Dan Haren-for-Carlos Marmol trade all but done. It feel through, however, with many speculating that it was due to issues surrounding Marmol’s no-trade clause or cold feet by one side or something. Many others, however, believe that it fell through because of Haren’s health. David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com has a source telling him that, yes, that’s what happened:
. . . a long-time AL source who has watched Haren over the past several seasons confirmed to me that medical questions were the main reason the trade fell apart, with the Cubs having serious concerns over Haren’s back stiffness that sidelined him for a part of the 2012 season. Also, hip issues and a noticeable drop in his velocity that forced him to pitch differently than when he was a dominant power pitcher.
Haren’s agent yesterday said that Haren is healthy, but those are the words of a guy shopping his free agent client’s services. He did not refute the notion that Haren’s health was the reason the Cubs backed out (and that the Angels declined Haren’s option).
He’ll be an interesting guy to watch on the free agent market this winter. Just know that when you hear that Haren is close to signing with someone, that last step — the medical exam — is nowhere near the formality it is for most free agents.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)