Nov 8, 2012, 7:14 AM EST
The Cubs and Angels had a Dan Haren-for-Carlos Marmol trade all but done. It feel through, however, with many speculating that it was due to issues surrounding Marmol’s no-trade clause or cold feet by one side or something. Many others, however, believe that it fell through because of Haren’s health. David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com has a source telling him that, yes, that’s what happened:
. . . a long-time AL source who has watched Haren over the past several seasons confirmed to me that medical questions were the main reason the trade fell apart, with the Cubs having serious concerns over Haren’s back stiffness that sidelined him for a part of the 2012 season. Also, hip issues and a noticeable drop in his velocity that forced him to pitch differently than when he was a dominant power pitcher.
Haren’s agent yesterday said that Haren is healthy, but those are the words of a guy shopping his free agent client’s services. He did not refute the notion that Haren’s health was the reason the Cubs backed out (and that the Angels declined Haren’s option).
He’ll be an interesting guy to watch on the free agent market this winter. Just know that when you hear that Haren is close to signing with someone, that last step — the medical exam — is nowhere near the formality it is for most free agents.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 8
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 98
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)