Nov 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Last winter the Mets dropped their Gulf Coast League team. It was portrayed by some as a sort of desperate cost-cutting move because the Wilpons were broke, etc., but that never really made a ton of sense. a GCL team costs less than a million bucks a year to operate. It was more likely that the Mets were just seeking an efficiency given that they already had three rookie league operations and more minor league teams than any other franchise.
Whatever it was about doesn’t matter now, though, because they’re getting back in the GCL:
A year after eliminating their Gulf Coast League team in a cost-saving maneuver, the Mets have restored the squad for 2013 … The reintroduction of the GCL team, which primarly is for newly signed players, is necessary because the new collective bargaining agreement results in draftees signing more quickly — in time to participate in games within weeks of the draft in large numbers, according to the Mets.
So, if you have a hankering to sit outside and watch Mets baseball in Florida during the dog days of summer, head to Port St. Lucie this summer and check out the hot, hot GCL action.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)