Nov 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Last winter the Mets dropped their Gulf Coast League team. It was portrayed by some as a sort of desperate cost-cutting move because the Wilpons were broke, etc., but that never really made a ton of sense. a GCL team costs less than a million bucks a year to operate. It was more likely that the Mets were just seeking an efficiency given that they already had three rookie league operations and more minor league teams than any other franchise.
Whatever it was about doesn’t matter now, though, because they’re getting back in the GCL:
A year after eliminating their Gulf Coast League team in a cost-saving maneuver, the Mets have restored the squad for 2013 … The reintroduction of the GCL team, which primarly is for newly signed players, is necessary because the new collective bargaining agreement results in draftees signing more quickly — in time to participate in games within weeks of the draft in large numbers, according to the Mets.
So, if you have a hankering to sit outside and watch Mets baseball in Florida during the dog days of summer, head to Port St. Lucie this summer and check out the hot, hot GCL action.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (75)