Nov 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Last winter the Mets dropped their Gulf Coast League team. It was portrayed by some as a sort of desperate cost-cutting move because the Wilpons were broke, etc., but that never really made a ton of sense. a GCL team costs less than a million bucks a year to operate. It was more likely that the Mets were just seeking an efficiency given that they already had three rookie league operations and more minor league teams than any other franchise.
Whatever it was about doesn’t matter now, though, because they’re getting back in the GCL:
A year after eliminating their Gulf Coast League team in a cost-saving maneuver, the Mets have restored the squad for 2013 … The reintroduction of the GCL team, which primarly is for newly signed players, is necessary because the new collective bargaining agreement results in draftees signing more quickly — in time to participate in games within weeks of the draft in large numbers, according to the Mets.
So, if you have a hankering to sit outside and watch Mets baseball in Florida during the dog days of summer, head to Port St. Lucie this summer and check out the hot, hot GCL action.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)