Nov 8, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
Some national writers were saying yesterday that the Orioles would be players for Josh Hamilton. A local Baltimore writer, however – Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun — says that’s not likely given the specualted $175 million price tag:
The Orioles have never given out a contract like that. And they aren’t going to make franchise history for a 31-year-old guy who battled injuries and an eye issue last year and had had trouble with alcohol and drug abuse in the past. I talked to several within the organization who say the club – and where it is right now – can’t afford to take such a risk with its comparatively limited resources, especially when they feel the team is headed in the right direction. If they are going to buy big, it has to be for someone they feel they can count on for years to come.
He ads a caveat: if Hamilton’s stock goes way down because other teams have similar fears, sure, the O’s could jump in when things get more reasonable.
I do love the “comparatively little resources” line, though. Part of the reason the Orioles have “comparatively little resources” is that the Orioles are receiving artificially low annual local broadcast revenues from MASN, which Peter Angelos also owns. If they got revenues from the network which matched up with the actual broadcast value of their baseball games, they’d be making way more dough. They don’t, however, because then the network would have to pay the Nationals more, and that would take money out of Angelos’ pocket.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)