Nov 8, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
There isn’t a lot going on at the General Manager Meetings from a transaction perspective, but many teams are laying the groundwork for possible signings and trades down the road. With that in mind, Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com was told by a source that Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. has spoken with B.J. Upton‘s agent, Larry Reynolds.
Frankly, it would probably be a bigger surprise if Amaro didn’t talk to Reynolds this week. Upton has been connected to the Phillies for awhile now and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com recently pegged the club as the favorites to land him. Salisbury is hearing similar things, as a number of executives expect the Phillies to be a major player while one said signing Upton is the team’s priority.
Josh Hamilton and Michael Bourn figure to get more money among free agent outfielders, but Upton will still be quite pricey. In fact, Salisbury writes that one executive from a team “that has probed the outfield market” has predicted that Upton will start out by asking for a seven-year deal worth between $13-16 million per season. That would put him in the range of $91-112 million, which is obviously bonkers. The same executive believes he’ll eventually settle for five guaranteed years with an option for a sixth.
Upton, 28, is a .255/.336/.422 hitter over his first eight seasons in the big leagues. He clubbed a career-high 28 home runs this season and was 31-for-37 in stolen base attempts.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 4
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)