The Red Sox are talking to Tino Martinez about their hitting coach job

Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

There has been a ton of Yankees-Red Sox cross-pollination over the years so this shouldn’t be a big deal to folks who are big on talking up the rivalry . But:

I may be imagining this, but based on comments we’ve gotten here over the years, Tino Martinez and some of the non-core four Yankees of the 1996-2000 teams seem to be held to a different standard when it comes to that kind of stuff.  Like, it’s no biggie if Johnny Damon plays on both sides, but there’s something considered more True Yankee about guys like Martinez and Scott Brosius or whoever. Even when they came from or went on to play for other teams, there seems to be a special feeling towards them by the hard core rivalry backers that makes me wonder if it will break their heart to see them in a Red Sox jersey.

Or not. I don’t know. But it will be kind of weird if he gets that gig and we see him in a Sox uniform.

1. willclarkgameface - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You know who says that it’s okay for Tino to take this job? That group of Mr. Benjamin’s waiting for him to put on his Red Sox duds.

And he will gladly do it.

Who cares really? It’s silly. The Red Sox/Yankees THING is so overdone and it’s not even real.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I believe that he just took a job with The Marlins.

2. Stacey - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’m one of the biggest Yankee fans around, have been since birth (mid 70s) and I don’t care if Tino works for the Red Sox.

Does this make me a bad fan?

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I think it makes you an adult.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

To clarify, that was not intended to be snark. I did not mean that since Stacey was born in the mid-70s, s/he is now an adult….that would have been funny.

What I meant was that it was a mature (i.e. adult) attitude to have towards former players that are real people and go on to have jobs with other teams…possibly even a hated rival.

3. edelmanfanclub - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Wouldn’t mind him as a coach, if the yankees want him bad enough they won’t let the Red Sox have him

4. hojo20 - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Tino was absolutely terrible on “Baseball Tonight” When he talked it looked like he was being held hostage and forced to read a terrorist’s agenda.

5. deathmonkey41 - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’d rather not see Tino in that filthy Red Sox gear, but I’m actually more upset that Kevin Long is still the Yankees hitting coach.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4187)