Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
There has been a ton of Yankees-Red Sox cross-pollination over the years so this shouldn’t be a big deal to folks who are big on talking up the rivalry . But:
Source: Red Sox have had preliminary talks with former Yankee Tino Martinez for the hitting coach job. #redsox.
— Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) November 8, 2012
I may be imagining this, but based on comments we’ve gotten here over the years, Tino Martinez and some of the non-core four Yankees of the 1996-2000 teams seem to be held to a different standard when it comes to that kind of stuff. Like, it’s no biggie if Johnny Damon plays on both sides, but there’s something considered more True Yankee about guys like Martinez and Scott Brosius or whoever. Even when they came from or went on to play for other teams, there seems to be a special feeling towards them by the hard core rivalry backers that makes me wonder if it will break their heart to see them in a Red Sox jersey.
Or not. I don’t know. But it will be kind of weird if he gets that gig and we see him in a Sox uniform.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)