Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
There has been a ton of Yankees-Red Sox cross-pollination over the years so this shouldn’t be a big deal to folks who are big on talking up the rivalry . But:
Source: Red Sox have had preliminary talks with former Yankee Tino Martinez for the hitting coach job. #redsox.
— Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) November 8, 2012
I may be imagining this, but based on comments we’ve gotten here over the years, Tino Martinez and some of the non-core four Yankees of the 1996-2000 teams seem to be held to a different standard when it comes to that kind of stuff. Like, it’s no biggie if Johnny Damon plays on both sides, but there’s something considered more True Yankee about guys like Martinez and Scott Brosius or whoever. Even when they came from or went on to play for other teams, there seems to be a special feeling towards them by the hard core rivalry backers that makes me wonder if it will break their heart to see them in a Red Sox jersey.
Or not. I don’t know. But it will be kind of weird if he gets that gig and we see him in a Sox uniform.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)