Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
There has been a ton of Yankees-Red Sox cross-pollination over the years so this shouldn’t be a big deal to folks who are big on talking up the rivalry . But:
Source: Red Sox have had preliminary talks with former Yankee Tino Martinez for the hitting coach job. #redsox.
— Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) November 8, 2012
I may be imagining this, but based on comments we’ve gotten here over the years, Tino Martinez and some of the non-core four Yankees of the 1996-2000 teams seem to be held to a different standard when it comes to that kind of stuff. Like, it’s no biggie if Johnny Damon plays on both sides, but there’s something considered more True Yankee about guys like Martinez and Scott Brosius or whoever. Even when they came from or went on to play for other teams, there seems to be a special feeling towards them by the hard core rivalry backers that makes me wonder if it will break their heart to see them in a Red Sox jersey.
Or not. I don’t know. But it will be kind of weird if he gets that gig and we see him in a Sox uniform.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)