Nov 8, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
There has been a ton of Yankees-Red Sox cross-pollination over the years so this shouldn’t be a big deal to folks who are big on talking up the rivalry . But:
Source: Red Sox have had preliminary talks with former Yankee Tino Martinez for the hitting coach job. #redsox.
— Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) November 8, 2012
I may be imagining this, but based on comments we’ve gotten here over the years, Tino Martinez and some of the non-core four Yankees of the 1996-2000 teams seem to be held to a different standard when it comes to that kind of stuff. Like, it’s no biggie if Johnny Damon plays on both sides, but there’s something considered more True Yankee about guys like Martinez and Scott Brosius or whoever. Even when they came from or went on to play for other teams, there seems to be a special feeling towards them by the hard core rivalry backers that makes me wonder if it will break their heart to see them in a Red Sox jersey.
Or not. I don’t know. But it will be kind of weird if he gets that gig and we see him in a Sox uniform.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)