Nov 8, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Here’s an interesting little twist to the Rockies announcing Walt Weiss as their new manager last night: He got a one-year contract.
“I am not motivated by the terms of contract,” Weiss told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “I am just focused on the job.”
Of course it’s easy to say that now, on literally Day 1 of the job and after going from high school coach to MLB manager, but it’s very rare for a manager–even a first-time manager–to not be given a multi-year contract.
Mike Redmond just got a three-year deal from the Marlins and last offseason the White Sox gave Robin Ventura a three-year deal and the Cardinals gave Mike Matheny a two-year deal with a third-year option. They were all hired as first-time MLB managers.
Renck notes that Weiss wasn’t actively looking for a job when the Rockies called him last month and has never even coached in professional baseball, but former coaches and teammates are effusive in their praise of his leadership skills and ability to command respect.
Still, taking over a last-place, 98-loss team on a one-year contract is a helluva challenge.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)