Nov 8, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Here’s an interesting little twist to the Rockies announcing Walt Weiss as their new manager last night: He got a one-year contract.
“I am not motivated by the terms of contract,” Weiss told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “I am just focused on the job.”
Of course it’s easy to say that now, on literally Day 1 of the job and after going from high school coach to MLB manager, but it’s very rare for a manager–even a first-time manager–to not be given a multi-year contract.
Mike Redmond just got a three-year deal from the Marlins and last offseason the White Sox gave Robin Ventura a three-year deal and the Cardinals gave Mike Matheny a two-year deal with a third-year option. They were all hired as first-time MLB managers.
Renck notes that Weiss wasn’t actively looking for a job when the Rockies called him last month and has never even coached in professional baseball, but former coaches and teammates are effusive in their praise of his leadership skills and ability to command respect.
Still, taking over a last-place, 98-loss team on a one-year contract is a helluva challenge.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)